Seasons Greetings :)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by still_fiddlin, Dec 8, 2012.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Due to an early gift to myself (new Martin), and having our son in the house briefly, I lifted up the lid of the MacBook over Thanksgiving (after ignoring it since Spring) and fired up GarageBand. I was trying out some of the "images" in the acoustic's built-in electronics - evident by the abrupt sound change between 1st & 2nd takes. Not an actual WIP, though I'll have a real bassist in the house next week, so probably at least redo that. But, I was able to get our son to play briefly (he's still in the eye-rolling stage) so, thought I'd post this Advent recording.

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Technical stuff - it's an ATM450 on both guitar and violin, with about 50% of the guitar electronics mixed in. M-Audio C600 interface. (I think most of the noise is from a MIM jazz bass I ended up with that looks good but needs some lessons...). I didn't use GB much except to record, then dumped the individual files to AIFFs and copy/pasted pieces together in Audacity, simply because that's what I've been using recently (different time sink). Some post processing compression - no recollection at this point as I did this last weekend, but I don't think much else.

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Nice job on a just-for-fun quickie! Guitar sounds great to me — you blended the two signals well. Keep it up!

3. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Really enjoyed that. Nice work. A bit of nice sounding bass will really add to it.

4. still_fiddlin

Thanks. Bass, yeah :oops: , when my buddy gets here, I'm going to hold the beer hostage until he helps fix this :).

5. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's beautiful, stillfiddlin !
    Great expressive playing, and a good sound.
    Don't know about the US, but in UK at this time of the year, most of the shops think it's a great idea to play festive canned pop while you struggle to find the right Christmas gifts. Sometimes I just have to run out the door after yet another dose of Slade and John Lennon's 'Imagine'....
    If they played music like this I would probably spend more money in there!

6. still_fiddlin

Updated the song (same link).

Between beer, football, and various tall tales, my best friend and I spent some time trying to drag his retired English teacher self into the 21st century. Interesting perspective on how folks my age who *haven't* spent their life around technology view all of this :).

Anyway, a lot of time was spent adding and subtracting tracks, practicing playing *with* the click track, then uploading and downloading GarageBand projects to/from "the cloud" since that's going to be our mode of operation if we ever get past my Luddite friend's suspicions about all of this... Anyway, I did get him to replace the bass line, and we also experimented with piling tracks on, even adding a MIDI percussion loop or 2 just to see what havoc we could wreak. It was a good time. Here's the 2nd Christmas Song (this may not persist very long to protect the innocent, and avoid SoundClick admins).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.