1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Searching for that BF tone from a Peavey Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by backalleyblues, Jul 18, 2017.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy gang, it's been quite a while since I posted here... life has this way of getting in the way of things... :D

Anyways, I've had this Peavey Classic 30 for about a year now, and while overall I like the sound of it, I'm still missing that BF glassiness that I have with my '73 Super Reverb (yes I know, completely different animals). It has the stock Blue Marvel speaker, and it's a mid-late 2000s US build (round badge logo on front, black/silver cosmetics).

I do have a tech that can do the work, but I'm sure he doesn't like working on these amps-that crazy 3 pc board would drive me to drink, too... so is there any particular speaker swap that might at least get me in the ballpark of BF territory? I do like the amp a bit, and it makes a great small gig amp, especially with a mic on it... just want that top-end presence and snap...

Thanks in advance,

Franc Robert

2. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

I put an Altec Lansing 417H in mine, shortly before I got rid of it. I really don't think a person could get any closer than that, and it still left a bit to be desired. Really, really clean and sparkling, but just a smidge of "boxiness" in the sound.

I would roll some pre-amp tubes, either in addition to the speaker, or as a first try.

Dirty30 likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I had a Classic 30, and after these mods(Eminence Texas Heat, JJ EL84s, Sovtek 12AX7LPS, JJ ECC803S, Tung Sol 12AX7 RI, tube tamer), I really liked it. Much more than a Blues Jr. But....it ain't no BF Fender. I've never heard an EL84 amp that was.

Do what I did, and enjoy the amp for what it is. But if you really want BF Fender tone, sell it and save up for a DRRI or PRRI or get a used SF.

Jakedog and 985plowboy like this.
  5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Just an idea. Look for a used Wampler black 65 pedal. IMHO they are great when used as a clean blackface preamp in front of a darker less sparkly amp. I run one with my 68 Custom Princeton and it's like having two different voices.

6. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Maybe this will help for a few bucks...

richiek65 likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. Just get a used HRDX

8. BareBones

BareBones Tele-Meister

Well
    Have myself a C30 head sittin in front of me...
    Kinda Ok with a 2x10 cab with 1962 Jensen alnico smooth cone drivers.
    But
    BF
    Means a lot of things to a lot of people in a lot of places...
    Please
    Expand....

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

You need biting treble. I had a classic, then bought a EQ pedal, then ditched the classic for a Rivera.
    Funny thing was , after thirty years BF was my 'modern tone', and told people as such. Rivera gave it in spades.
    Everything was 'slightly tighter'.haha 'modern' well, it was, for me. I sounded fresh, for once.thirty years to late.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Clip that feedback thingy..and lookup settings with mid roll off and treb adj
    and use the 8ohm ext for your internal speaker...not int 16ohm
    .and get a new one..8ohm speaker of course...too many to list

11. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

The Joyo is a good pedal as well but I find it works better into a PA than into an amp. The Wampler is more organic and less sterile IMO

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That Peavey amp is based on a circuit that does not yield BF sonics. Fwiw, neither do the Blues/Hot Rod Fender amps. All of these amps are more closely related to a 5F6A Bassman circuit. The gain structure is different....therefore the sonics are different.
    That said, a graphic EQ can do a lot of things....

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

As posted above the speaker is the weak link. Find a speaker you like and the amp rocks. It won't get you into Fender territory. The amp has its own sound. I like it.

14. backalleyblues

To me, BF means the classic Robert Cray tone, Strat into BF Super Reverb clean-bright, mid-scooped, glassy tone (btw, I saw RC back in the day, with his old Strat into that BFSR straight, and I could hear that amp directly from the stage-yeah it left an impression alright!) That the C30 seems to use a Bassman tone stack mol does help me a lot-I've always been able to get decent tones out of the Hot Rod Fenders that were acceptable to my ears.

On a related question, does anyone know which model Eminence speaker is the Blue Marvel? It would help to know for speaker selection, as I feel the BM doesn't have a lot of sparkle to it...

Thanks,
    Franc Robert

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

A look at the topography reveals why these PV's and the BLues/Hot Rod amps do not produce BF type of sonics. The tone stack does NOT follow that first gain stage as does the gain stack in the BF circuit. This yields a different thing....if it didn't there would be little reason to build the different circuits. This same approach sits in the Pro Sonic and in the grainier channels in the SuperSonic Fenders. The other channel in the Super sonics is modeled after the BF thing.
    Yes, the values in the tone stack have an effect no matter which of these two preamps the tone stack is in, but the tone stack does not change the gain topography and how that tone stack works.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on EQ pedal

17. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Sorry but a Peavey Classic 30 is a real good amp, and it has its own personality. Why dont you sell it and buy a Fender Amp? Changing it is like trying to change a women mind...

neilybob100 and Henry Mars like this.
  18. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

It might help to put a smaller coupling cap on V1

19. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Wampler has a 65 pedal that may get you there.. Worth a look.

20. backalleyblues

Well, after mucking around with tone knobs (just twiddling, soldering iron has not been broken out yet) I finally got a tone I can kinda live with... Bass 9, mids 0 and treble 9 gave me a kinda tweedy clean that sits reasonably well in the mix. After reading through various reviews and checking Eminence's sound samples, I'm probably going to stick an Emi Red White & Blue in this amp, that should help brighten it up some...

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.