Searching for a Marshall-like distortion pedal that suits my Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Slow Graffiti, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Slow Graffiti

Slow Graffiti TDPRI Member

TLDR: I'm looking for a Marshall-like distortion with sustain from a pedal (and maybe a medium-gain overdrive?). Not metal or anything, just something that will blast and sing. I mostly play a Strat through a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue (Jensen P-12Q Alnico speaker), volume around 4.5. I can't crank it much more in my setting. For clean, shoegaze, and blues sounds, the amp is what I've always wanted, but I am having difficulty finding the dirty sounds I want.

A good reference for what I'm searching for is the tone Noel Gallagher (and Paul Weller) uses a lot, like during the solos on Oasis' Don't Look Back In Anger and Champagne Supernova (live / studio). I know he did it then through Marshall and Orange stacks, but he's still doing the same thing now through a Blues Jr.

-

For almost a decade as a cash-strapped teen/20-something, I have played through a Boss GT-6 directly to the PA. This was convenient and fortunate, because I play mostly at church where stage volume is a concern, and I did not have the money for the amp I wanted. Now, I'm not cash-strapped and want to go to an amp+pedal chain setup. Individual pedals are almost all new to me, other than having watched hundreds of pedal demos.

I've got a Snouse BlueLine, a little-known, wonderful Bluesbreaker-like overdrive that I'm using for an almost-always-on tone thickening tool with very low gain, but for medium overdrive or real distortion, I am still relying on a Peavey 5150-like patch from the GT-6.

I picked up Dr. Scientist's The Elements, but in my limited attempts, it's been nothing but mush. What I've seen recommended elsewhere - MI Audio Crunch Box, ZVex Distortion, Wampler Pinnacle/Plexi-Drive/Sovereign, Riot Suhr (+Reloaded), Rat, Tone Bone Hot British, Catalinbread various, Bearfoot Model H.

If you read any of that, thanks, and I'd love to hear you weigh in.

2. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

great options you have listed. you might also look into a cmatmods brownie, and a tech 21 british. I'd say start with the tech 21, if you can't find the tone you're looking for in that, its not a marshall you're looking for. the good news is, if its not in the british box they also make an oxford model that is orange in a box tones, so either way a tech 21 would have you covered.

3. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

a Xotic BB pre amp will bring you there!

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Just listening to those songs I'm thinking any decent overdrive with some tone cut off the top to warm/fatten them up through a deluxe could work. Boss SD1 or OCD (can get marshall type crunch out of mine) or something more boutique perhaps. Plenty to try in shops.

5. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

I have a EHX English Muff'n that I would say fits the bill. It is super underrated IMO because the treble control is extreme and never needs to be above 1/3. They go for nothing on ebay so might be worth a punt.

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a couple of old Strats and a '66 Deluxe Reverb, and the best Marshall sound for me has been the Blackstone Appliances. But it's pricey, so there may be cheaper alternatives. I bought both of mine used FWIW.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    This is my recommendation as well. Great pedal.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree. I have several other highly touted pedals, including OCD, Blackstone Mosfet overdrive, Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret (one of the favorite "Marshall in a Box" pedals out there), and I think the BB Preamp beats them all.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To me you are describing the Rat. Drive about 10-11 o'clock depending on how hard you pick, where you pick, how hot your p/u's are. Filter is wired in reverse from a normal Tone so the farther clockwise, the darker it is. Great pairing with a DR. Otherwise and OD250. Similar concept, different flavor clipping and EQ. Both classics for a reason.

10. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Because there are so many marshall "sounds" its hard to give you a singular answer.

obviously the bluesbreaker overdrive is a good generic marshall overdrive sound, there just isn't a whole lot of it

my favorite jtm45 pedal is the zvex box of rock/distotron
    my favorite plexi pedal is the catalinbread dirty little secret mkiii
    my favorite hot rod plexi/early jcm 800 is the wampler pinnacle
    my favorite jcm 800 and beyond pedal is the wampler plextortion

then there are the really high gain pedals which are more distortion than overdrive like the jackhammer and shredmaster that marshall put out which I still think are the best at what they do.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the Jackhammer, I think you can get all kinds of Marshall sounds out of that thing (not just high gain) but you need to take some time dialing it in.

I've heard the Hyde side of the VS J&H is a Shredmaster clone, not sure whether that's true but if it is, then yes , the Shredmaster really sounds good, too. That one is definitely high gain, though

12. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

2 suggestions (very inexpensive options) Joyo Deluxe Crunch (the 4 knob model) or Joyo Hot Plexi. You can't go wrong with a Joyo OD pedal!

13. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My fave with a DR RI is the Catalinbread DLS v.1.
    IMO it's more trad plexi than the subsequent three versions (yes, I've had them). I keep going back to it.

14. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

Using a Tech 21 Hot Rod Plexi and EHX English Muff'n. Not sure how these 2 pedal will interact with your amp, 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue but it sound great with my Mesa Dual Rectifier to get Marshall tone.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going to add a Barber Direct Drive to the mix. It has a pull pot to add harmonics. It's one of my favorites with a Fender sort of amp.

16. s.d.sound-guy

s.d.sound-guy Former Member

Clean Fender to Marshall Fat!

Try a Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion. Yes it is the heaviest pedal Boss makes but it does wonders on my Deluxe's and Super's to get the thicker Marshall tone and low end chunk and it has tone controls to let you tailor the pedal tone quite well. I use an MXR Dist+ after that one if I want more of an early non-master volume Marshall crunch tone.

Rock On!

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The big box version of the DD has the pull pot. On the compact version they changed it (I think) to the Lt switch. Either way, as you say, it's a great pedal to run into a Fender amp.

18. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

The Marshall Jackhammer pedal. It does it and does the Marshall sound better than any other Marshall pedal I've heard.

Go to eBay, they're still pretty cheap cause they weren't boutique enough for the masses.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, mine's a big box. I forgot about the little ones.

20. Deafen

Deafen Tele-Meister

Dunno about most of those options, but I'm using a DLS MkII (in Pepto pink!) into a (simulated) DR and it sounds like heaven to me. Lots of options from low- to medium-gain, and if I put a boost before it (Donner Boost Killer) it can do pretty heavy dirt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.