Search for a new Custom shop Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Oct 5, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

So I'm on the hunt for a new custom shop 52 type tele or Nocaster. I visited Cosmo music here in Canada, who always has a wide variety of fender custom shop guitars.
    I tried out several teles but nothing really stood out to me as "The One". But this one here, I really liked the finish. Its a relic so maybe not for everyone. Although I felt it was light on the relic. It did look old but the wear marks are minimal. Its probably my favorite type of factory ageing. The back of the neck was nice and worn down. The paisley finish is very nice. I didn't like the tones much but its hard to tell as I was playing through a mesa boogie which is nothing like my amp. The nut was terribly cut. Some behind the nut bends I was doing strings were easily getting caught up in the nut. The neck was a tad slimmer than I liked.
    Oh well the search continues. Likely I'll buy used if something comes up locally that I like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] t

2. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

That's purty..

3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I like it. I'd like it better with the standard Tele guard with the paisley pattern.

Some of the paisley Strats have the matching paisley guards and I think I'd rather have that than see the gap around the neck pup.

Either way it's a way f'n cool Tele. Just my personal preference.

4. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Save a couple of grand and get a 2012-15 AV 52.

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Don't want 7 1/4 radius or vintage frets. I had a 52 thin skin wildwood but the edges were so rolled and the frets so beveled that it was virtually unplayable. I got it used from Wildwood and I'll guess thats why the original owner traded it in as it was less than a year old.
    How do you like this one here. $3,000 CA ($2,300 US) He says its a special edition. I don't know whats so special about it that it would cost the same as a used Custom shop.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/guel...46/1461162433?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I think it would have looked better with either no pickguard or a clear pickguard.

7. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I agree, don’t see anything “special “ about it other than the neck plate. And, you’re correct, you can find a used CS for around that price, at least here in the US.

8. Yazam

Yazam TDPRI Member

May i know Why u suggest this av5?

9. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

That is just plain sexy. Congrats!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tce63 likes this.
  10. timtheshredder

timtheshredder TDPRI Member

That is so nice. Does the case look as good as the guitar? Agreed about the 7 1/2 radius. I've tried a few and didn't like any of them. You made the right choice. :)

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have nothing against relic's. "Real" wear vs. "fake" wear seems like a tiresome subject to me. I'd happily rock a Roadworn and owned a Paisley signature Mexi Tele.

The thing I don't get is the back of the neck "wear". I am lucky enough to own a beat up '69 Tele, and a couple '88-'90 Strat Plus's that have been rode hard and put away wet over the decades. They have wear something like that on the fretboard shown above (not that extreme, but in the ballpark). But I have literally never seen a back of the neck like that on any vintage Fender, no matter how beat up. I wonder why Fender does that?

Happy hunting.

12. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Not going to get into the relic debate. But as far as the back of necks I don't think they are trying to simulate real wear. Back in the day quite a few players would sand off the nitro finish on the back because it would get sticky when temps and sweat were involved. After awhile it would get dark. Personally IMHO I do like the feel of a bare neck. YMMV

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

For me the back of the neck is the best part. I don't really care what it looks like. I'm the only one that will see it from the stage. But the feel of near bare wood on the hand is beautiful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.