1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sean Costello on a Tele: A Man and the Blues

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stephent2, Apr 16, 2009.

1. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, being lumped in with the "young turks" irritated Sean and it didn't help his career.

Sean's last CD "We Can Get Together" would have changed all that, but he was gone only months after it's release. If you'all don't have it do yourselves a collective favor and buy it, it has Sean's best recored playing and singing for certain. No one's mentioned it but besides the amazing voice and guitar playing Sean's songwriting was excellent.

Here's an older vid, this is a Robert Ward song, that shows the joy of Sean's music,..

2. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I just found out about this guy about 2 months ago. I found some videos of him on a Goldtop playing Magic Sam songs with Jimmy Vivino and the first thing I thought was wow, that guy reminds me of Mike Bloomfield in the way he physically plays the guitar. It was a little eerie finding out he died tragically like Mike.

3. stephent2

http://www.seancostellofund.org/

for the record Sean died of an accidental combination of medications he was prescribed and a couple he wasn't. Sean was bipolar and his last couple months were not good times for him.

all proceeds from tonight's show go to the Sean Costello Fund.

4. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

That video of "Love is amazing" is the one that introduced me to Sean. I love that song (almost everything Robert Ward has written is fantastic) and this version is terrific. Great playing, great singing and that Les Paul sounds fantastic.

5. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Love is Amazing..his performace of this tune is Amazing. It's Otis Redding and Hendrix at another level in my opinion. He would have been bigger than life with performance's like that.

6. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Not really knowledgeable about Sean but his version of Simple Twist of Fate is probably my fave ever Dylan cover.
    RIP.

7. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

The first time I saw Sean was about 15 years ago. My wife and I went to Savannah to see Barry Richman, and Sean was playing there also. Our jaws dropped when he started playing. This young guy in a suit with a big Jazz box comes out, and within seconds we are stunned. He played like he had been playing for 50 years. He was unbelievable!!! I miss him too.

8. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

first heard about sean when i was looking up goodsell amps...wish id known of him earlier. and i wish i could make it out to the benefit show...oliver wood is one of my favorite players as well. good luck...i hope theres a huge turnout

9. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Great clip...Sean was amazing on whatever guitar he played! Sadly missed......

10. stephent2

It was great great Celebration at Northside last night, all music provided by Sean's friends with heartfelt and inspired performances. Wish you'all coulda been there.

[​IMG]

11. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Tele-Meister

From 2003 on this forum posted by stephant2 "I own no pickups by Lollar, don't know anything about his approach except my buddy Sean Costello has a professional relationship with Jason, uses his pickups on several of his guitars and likes them a bunch, there can be no higher praise in my book. I've played Sean's goldtops, with the Lollars on his reissue, it sounds the best it ever has."
    I am glad he used a variety of mine for a long time- guy was an amazing talent, I really like his take on "simple twist of fate"- what an inventive version of a powerful song!

12. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

I'm about to order "We Can Get Together" after listening on some of the songs on Myspace and Youtube.
    I have to agree on his songwriting, just incredible. No half steppin, Hard Luck Woman, Going home and Can't let Go are fantastic songs.

13. stephent2

Sean said you nailed his P90 sound and he'd had problems in the past with some other folks, so I know he was overjoyed to have his '53 restored.

The last time I saw Sean in the studio he had the '53 and the back of the neck had been all gnarled and pitted, a local repair guy had oversprayed it with clear so you could still see the wear but it was smooth to the touch.

Sean's Mom and Stepdad have the goldtop with them, I hope to get over there and take some pictures, Sean wore on that guitar and had stopped using it on the road, he was playing his '90s reissue w/ Fralins, but Sean could make anything sound wonderful. The '53 is a very special guitar though, Sean loved it.

14. Diceman

Diceman Tele-Meister

Sean's passing was the greatest musical tragedy of my generation. I'm just 2 years younger than Sean was - too young. I listen to Sean's music every day. I've got all of his albums, and rotate them through my CD player on a daily basis. I "jam with Sean" every evening. I never had the opportunity to meet Sean, but his music has changed my life. God bless you, Sean.

15. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I just recently learned of the Man and his music on this forum and I have to say..he really struck a chord within me. Huge talent..looks his voice and guitar playin.

His version of " love is amazing' is my favorite for sure..very tastefull tune. He needed more progresive Blues tunes like that with such flavor..has a much broader appeal I believe.

God only knows what the heck goes on this crazy life..it's obvious this Man has touched many many people and now I am one of those who truely love this Mans talent. You can tell he was a genuine nice person. I've been listening to his music everyday on Youtube..but then I feel very sad to the point of tears.

16. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

He was a great player with a ton of feel.

17. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Many of you may not believe it but right here on this thread is my first exposure to this guy.......WOW!!!! One of my absolute fav's now. Loved his playing and singing on get it togther now. He plays almost exactly with the same technique as I do, so now I know there is hope for me after all.

18. stephent2

Sean was a sweet, smart, sincere guy, no one ever had a bad word to say about him and you know how catty musicians can be.

I'm so glad that folks have found their way to Sean's music from these posts, which after all was my intention.

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn TDPRI Member

Sean used to play Memphis a lot in the early days (about every other week) and I got to know him pretty well. I was saddened to hear on April 16th last year of his passing it's my birthday too ...

In those days Sean used a Strat and a Gibson ES 175 one night he broke a string on the 175 and switched mid song to the Strat you could not tell a difference in the sound amazing it was all in his hands. Another night he ws setting up getting ready to play and knowing he liked P90 pickups I pulled my Gibson "Historic" 56 Goldtop out of the trunk and let him try it ... he played it the whole rest of the night. I saw him some time later at the Gibson lounge in Memphis using the 53, and asked him when he switched from the 175 ... he said the night after he borrowed my 56 reissue.

I have an original copy of "Call the Cops" he gave me ... I really miss that guy!

20. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

Man, I haven't been here in a long time, this sad news about Sean really caught me off guard, I heard him for the first time on Susan Tedeschi's album Just wont burn. I thought his playing on that LP was raw, tone full and authentic. Its just a shame that he's gone....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.