Seagull is dying

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Nov 17, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I've been trying to baby my Seagull along for quite a while now until I can get a really good acoustic but it isn't going to make it. I just had it looked at and the prognosis is poor. The neck is twisting and needs reset but even worse, the top is dead. The guy said I played it to death. I shouldn't have ever bought a guitar with a cedar top. I'm far to heavy handed.

So, I guess I'll be needing another moderately priced guitar to beat on for the time being.

I'm thinking maybe another Seagull but I'm open to suggestions.

bcorig, TheGoodTexan and getbent like this.
  2. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

What's wrong with a cedar top? Just curious. I have a 25 year old Takamine with a Cedar top. Never any issues

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Same here with a 1999 Simon & Patrick SP6 - no issues yet with any aspect of it. Well, the cedar top does mark easily though!

TheGoodTexan and 3fngrs like this.
  4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I think the cedar is too soft for someone who hits the strings the way I do. There's nothing wrong with a cedar top. It's just not suited for the way I play. The problem is me!:D

5. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought this thread was going to be about Pirates of the Caribbean's ship

The Dying Gull

th-30.jpeg

Its not made of cedar, I think?

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

pics?

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Since it is a bolt-on neck, a reset shouldn't be that costly. I've never heard of a guitar going dead from playing too much.

As for replacement as recommendations, hard to beat Yamaha's FG700/800 series that can be had for under $300.

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I agree that cedar is too soft for heavy strummers. It doesn't have the dynamic range of spruce, and seems to choke when you hit it hard. It's better for fingerstyle.
    If you can afford it, IMO nothing beats a low end Martin.

10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Which model of Seagull are you playing? I happen to be a very big fan of Seagull guitars and have several, see no reason not to consider another Seagull. As for the cedar tops being too soft, I would fire that tech as it just sounds like he wanted to talk you out of working on that instrument. Seagull tops are all pressure tested and are actually slightly arched so they are not going to become lifeless no matter how hard your attack is. If you like a brighter tone, the Artist Cameo is a great guitar.

11. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Not sure I understand what you mean by a "dead" top. Is the top physically damaged? The only time I've ever had an acoustic guitar go "dead" was when I've had the top braces come loose due to exposure to extreme heat and humidity (I live in Florida) or when the top was actually crushed by airline mishandling. Even if the top is salvageable, I suppose the cost of a neck reset would approach the expense of just buying a new one.

The Godin guitars I've owned (Seagull and Simon & Patrick) have been good guitars, especially at their price point. I might also suggest that you check out Voyage-air guitars. I have one that I bought for travel because of its unique folding design, but I found I like it so much that I play it all the time. Great bang for the buck, and not just for travel.
    https://www.voyageairguitar.com/

12. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Not true. Seagulls are set neck. The bolts only purpose are for clamping pressure during gluing. Go to 20:40.

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I haven’t had time to read the thread yet, but I’ll say this - I love Seagull acoustic guitars. I don’t currently own one, but I’m always on the look out for them in the used market because you can find them cheap. The last one I had sounded as good as a well seasoned J45. Great guitars.

telestratosonic and Milspec like this.
  14. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Look at some Taks. I don't remember the model, I'm at work at the moment. When I was looking to buy, I tried several Martins, Taylors, Tacomas, and others. The best sounding guitar to me was a Takamine for just under $500. Matter of fact I tried a Seagull for around that price, it sounded a little thin, but I really like their style. I compared the one I got to a $3000 dollar Martin. There was know way I was paying that anyhow.

Danjabellza likes this.
  15. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The PRS angelus A50e is my next acoustic. I played one along side some lower end martins, and it held its own without issue. Phenomenal sound and playability. And less money too.

16. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually, I'm reading this as a good news story.
    A moderately priced guitar got played.
    A Lot.
    That sounds pretty cool; much better than something that was too precious to leave the humidity-monitored shell or get passed over to a dear friend at a jam.
    Celebrate the life of this beloved instrument and get another one - similar or different.
    The play the heck out of that one, too.

My .02

Peace - Deeve

jvin248, KyAnne, tomas83 and 3 others like this.
  17. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

The top is dead! I have ears. Even my girlfriend can tell. I don't know why but it has no volume.

The neck is twisted and needs reset. It's a $359 entourage. I didn't expect it to last forever.

And I like Seagulls. I own two plus a LaPatrie.

I don't want this to be a controversial thread. I'm just kicking around what I want to do.

My thoughts are that I'll buy a moderately priced guitar to use until I buy a really good one. Then I'll donate the moderately priced one to the VA. And maybe a couple of others!

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Have you contacted Godin about this ? I'm quite sure they would like to know about it, may even want to fix it for you.

info@godinguitars.com

19. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Agreed why change what works?

20. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Just a suggestion. Sounds like it would be nice donor guitar if you know someone who is learning guitar repair and needs something to take apart and practice on.

KyAnne, 3fngrs and Deeve like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.