SDG Vintage 5E3 Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by kafn8d, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kafn8d

kafn8d TDPRI Member

I've just completed everything but the tweed and grill cloth on my "Deluxe Clone" build. I must say that Steve at SDG Vintage has a great kit. I built the cabinet out of solid pine and I won a 1956 12" Magnavox speaker off of evil bay. Got the remainder of the parts from Mojo Music Supply. I must say this thing is awesome. This is my 1st amp build and really anything electronic with the exception of a guitar here and there. This thing is silky smooth when you want it to be or with a little aggressive picking can get quite nasty.:twisted: It is currently setup with 5Y3, 6V6, 6V6, 12AX7, 12AY7 tube combination. When I finish the tweed and grill cloth I will post some pics. I couldn't have done this without all the knowledge on this forum. Thanks to all!

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It's a fun amp to build, and a great feeling to hear those first notes. I doesn't hurt that the 5E3 is a blast to play with. Congratulations - let's get to the pictures!

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

Steve is great to deal with. I built a 5E3 with his stuff when he was still in the process of developing the kit so mine has the same turret board that he uses in his completed amps (I think the kits now use eyelet boards). The amp has been great since the first flick of the switch.

I use a 5V4 rectifier in mine for a bit more volume/headroom and went with a Weber Alnico Blue Dog. Couldn't be happier.

Congratulations on the successful build.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.