SD1 VS MojoMojo...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, May 16, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Let the battle begin.

I like both of these. A lot. I’ve owned them both. Several times. I’ll be buying one or the other on Monday. I can’t decide which.

They both sound great.

They’re both $50. Which is my max at the moment.

They’re both very well suited to what I do.

They’re both pretty low gain, but I’d never get the drive above noon on either of them, so they both have plenty for what I need.

I do not remember if one has significantly more volume on tap than the other...

Boss pedals are pretty much indestructible. But I’ve not had any real issues with TC pedals, and I’ve owned many of them.

So which one would you pick, and why?

This will be paired with a Spark boost mini, HOF mini, and a TU3 to make a super simple pedal board to toss in front of my Origin 20 combo for a rehearsal/small jam rig.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I got an sd-1 to replace my old ts10.
    It's quiet and indestructible.
    I really like it, brighter and has more gain than the ts10.
    Don't have experience with the mojo~

Jakedog likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have both. I like both sd-1 is the more intense than the mojo mojo.
    Mojo Mojo adds a nice patena to my slide sound. the sd-1 is an agressive sound for slide playing

Jakedog likes this.
  4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have had both. I prefer the SD-1 because its more aggressive sounding - just something nice about it when it pushes and amp or another pedala- also can brighten things up. The mojo mojo sounds good, less aggressive, but I felt that it tends to "muffle" the sound ever so slightly and I did not like that. Maybe it was the guitar and amp at the time, but I don't think I'd go back to the mojo mojo. I actually liked the Dark Matter better and even though its marketed as a distortion, I felt that it is what the mojo should have been.

5. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

SD1 was my first pedal and my only pedal for years, i loved it for solos and crunch rhythm too. I sold it when i changed to an ME5 that had something very similar in it. My Xtomp mini has an SD1 model on it and it makes me very nostalgic and happy.

I bought a Mojomojo a couple of years ago, I liked it for dirty rhythm but as @bluesholyman says, it sounded a bit muffled. It didn't work for me for solos, so I flipped it.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

SD-1. Classic sound, and the most durable pedal design ever.

After the nuclear holocaust, the only things left alive and functioning will be cockroaches, Boss pedals, and Fender guitars.

Switchy, dougstrum and Jakedog like this.
  7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've heard of a few TC footswitches going south, and that they are tricky to replace? One of these was on a friend's so I'm not being purely anecdotal here. I have had and still have other TC pedals with no dramas of this sort, so I'm not trying to put anyone off them, but i think the Boss pedal is probably the more sturdy design

Jakedog likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The Dark Matter is a great pedal that doesn't get mentioned a lot, because I think a lot of people were confused by the name. Metalheads were disappointed in it because they thought it was supposed to be a heavy metal distortion, and people who did not like heavy metal avoided it because, they thought it was supposed to be a heavy metal distortion.

It isn't. I use one as a lead boost, and it sounds awesome.

9. ping-ping-clicka

boss for me in terms ease of use, quality of build, value , the GOLD STANDARD

Jakedog likes this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

I have the Dark Matter and it haas a nice edge without the buzzing bees. a strong double cappuccino with a shot of brandy.

bluesholyman and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  11. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Twinkies...how could you forget Twinkies?

stnmtthw likes this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

SD-1(W)?? Haven't played the Waza Craft version, so don't know if it's really worth the extra $$ over the good ol' SD-1...
    FWIW, my go-to OD for the past couple years has been the Barber Gain Changer -- incredible range and flexibility vs. the two you are considering!!

Tele56 likes this.
  13. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I played a Waza and liked it best in standard SD-1 mode. I've got no problem with modded pedals but the Waza mod didn't do much for me and no way would I pay an extra $100 for it. As always, YMMV.

Jakedog and 11 Gauge like this.
  14. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I never tried an SD1, but I like the MojoMojo, because it bis one of very few pedals that I can get a really old low gain OD sound with (think Jump Blues, Western Swing, Junior Barnard, octal preamp, EH185).

Jakedog and ndcaster like this.
  15. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Without even having played either, I'd go TC if you're on the fence. You already have a boss buffer in your chain with the tu3, you really want to add another?

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

interesting, may have to check that out

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, there's no way I'd pay ~$150 for a SD-1, for sure.

The beauty of modded SD-1s and DS-1s is that you can find used ones for cheap, and then apply the right cost-effective mods to them.

Or just get a used oldie and leave it stock. Most old Boss pedals (at least the OD/dist/etc.) will probably function just as well as the new ones. As a bonus, the old ones are actually (completely) serviceable, if that's an important aspect.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

haven't played either so can't help but my fave drive pedal for the Origin amps is the Lovepedal JTM, which you can pick up for $50 if Lovepedal ever runs one of its weekend sales things again. That's what mine cost me, if I remember right.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.