1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SD STL-1 '54 TELE BRIDGE PUP

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by John_B, Feb 27, 2021.

1. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I likey the sound clips here on the old comparison blog with the Twang King, the SD Broadcaster and the STL-1 54 Tele bridge pups. I REALLY like the 54 tele sound. Don't like the SD sound clip of this pup...at all.

Today at the music store I replaced both pups, bridge and did a complete set up on a very good customers MIM candy apple red James Burton Tele. I really love this JB Tele and I believe I have first option if my customer ever chooses to sell.

Out came the 54 Tele STL-1 bridge and STR-1 neck pups and in went a set of SD Quarter Pounders. I installed these 54 pups about a year ago. My customer is as bad as me, maybe worse in his quest for tone and he has a wider range or palate than I do. I looked at the pups I removed today because I have forgotten what they were. Well.. it looks like I am buying the bridge pup from him. I love my SD Broadcaster and my BS custom A3 and I am 1000o/o satisfied with both but I saw an opportunity with this 54 pup.

Dang, I really like what I heard. Don't see any recent comments about this 54 pup but do see a lot of old comments and love.

I think this is an excellent sounding pup!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    MickM likes this.
  2. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

It never ends does it?

3. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Nope, I don't think it ever will. Jeez, I've yet to try out the Hayride, the Plankster, the Oildale, the Nashville Lion, the Pretzel or the Fralin Stock+2 o/o.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  4. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you're looking for that Bakersfield twang or Robbie Robertson Tele pick harmonics, the Duncan 54 Tele bridge, with staggered pole Alnico 5 mags, is the ticket, and it's underrated. Pair it with a Fender AV/OV 52 neck, swap the leads and change the cover ground to the other eyelet, and you'll discover a great middle tone as well -- instant Steve Cropper. I've had both in my 86 MIJ 62 Esquire Custom for 30 years now. They will not be replaced.

Ricky D. likes this.
  5. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I get it! I overlooked this pup for a long time.

6. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Well this '54 Tele pup turns out to be a Broadcaster pup. The label says STL-1 BRIDGE which I see to be a '54 Tele.The Broadcaster label is STL-1B. Problem is... it has flat pole pieces, a yellow and black cloth covered wire and today it measured 8.3K. The '54 Tele pup has staggered D&G poles, white and black covered wire and is 7K.

SD Service told me it could have been mislabeled and sure sounds like it is a Broadcaster.

Not a problem really, being the SD Broadcaster is my favorite A5 and now I have a backup pup.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  7. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

I have both the STL-1 Vintage 54 and STL-1B Broadcaster. The Vintage 54 is in the parts bin:rolleyes:
    I must try it with a Fender OV neck.

8. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Those SD Broadcasters are fine pickups. I've had many in various Teles down the years. I also like the Fender Original Vintage pickups with A3 magnets. Both of those have the Tone I'm looking for, the SD being slightly hotter at 8K ohms, where the OVs are 7K ohms.

Another underrated SD pickup is the APTL-3JD Jerry Donahue Bridge Pickup - great vintage Twang but with more Bass and punch. Those have Alnico II magnets, I believe and DCR is about 7K ohms. Just a great Tele lead pickup.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  9. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Yes, I love the Broadcaster! I had a Twang King in one Tele and a Broadcaster in the other. I much preferred the Broadcaster because the TK had the middle scooped out and it broke up easy. The TK DID sound awesome with compression and delay pedals.

I am a big fan of the Broadcaster pup.

I will eventually have the '54 tele pup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.