SD Broadcaster bridge pup with 2000 standard tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Neill Levine, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Neill Levine

Neill Levine Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I've picked up a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pup and I'm putting it into my 2000 US standard tele (I found the stock pup to be far too brittle).

How do you think it will mate with the standard 2000 neck pup? I don't mind the idea of more output from the neck (I also have a nice classic 50's tele, but the traditional neck pup output doesn't suit by jazz playing side of me - but I love the bridge sound on it, so I'm not going to mess with it)
    I'm guessing the modern tele's neck pickups are a bit hotter than they used to be made in the 50's?

The Seymour Duncan I've bought is posting from overseas, so I've got a bit of time to wait and see (hear)
    Has anyone done a similar config?
    Keen to hear your thoughts on this.

NL

2. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

3. Neill Levine

Excellent! Thanks for pointing that out - that's the sort of thing I need to find out. I'll mention it to my guitar-tech guy when I take the guitar in to be worked on.
    Ta!

NL

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yea..usually I take it for granted the SD is opposite of fenders...(after years and lbs of solder) lol... another problem can be if you get some rwrp that throws another wrench in there..

5. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Dave, do any of your tele pickups work with fender or is it as a whole they are out of phase?
    Do you make custom sets to accommodate a fender neck pup?

6. Neill Levine

I should have lurked longer in the pickup room! I didn't realise that the company themselves posted here.
    Never underestimate the Tele Page!

Neill

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If it was mine, I'd lift the ground on the neck PU cover and run a separate wire to the volume pot, makes it easy to switch polarity on the signal leads. You could easily go to a 4-way switch at the same time to have B+N series along with the standard B+N parallel. Series sounds like a humbucker and is a little louder than the other positions, a solid fourth sound to go with the standard three.

8. Neill Levine

Wow, that sounds like an interesting idea...but I'm easily baffled on-stage - a 3 way switch is about all that I can manage :)

9. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Once you have tried a 4 way switch and heard both pickups in series you will wonder why all single coil teles aren't wired that way.

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It's a distinct and useful 4th sound, but I understand where you are coming from. I have two teles with the 4-way and one with a 3-way, and I enjoy the simplicity of the 3-way.

11. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They weren't always backward from Fender. I put a brand new SD Vintage Broadcaster in an '81-82 Tele I bought new and at the time they were both using the same wiring. I don't know when Fender actually switched.

I do feel that its easier to snip the ground to the cover at the neck pup and leave the bridge alone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.