SD 53 Tapped Tele set wiring

Palaver

TDPRI Member
I'm at an impasse swapping out my pickups for an SD Tapped Tele set. I bought it several years ago and it sat in a drawer. Came with a 5way switch. The included info/diagram was for different pickups. So, checked the diagrams on the SD website. There are two Tapped Tele specific diagrams. they're both the same except one has a red lead instead of yellow. I made identical connections, but the results were frustrating because the last position on the selector gives no sound. I'm going to undo my work and start over while looking for whatever I missed. Loads of diagrams for 3 & 4 way switches, but I want to use the 5way.
If anyone has gone through this, Please let me know what gives here. I thought it was odd that all 3 of the hot leads from both pickups were soldered one after another on one side of the switch lugs, with one lead to the volume pot.
Tapped_Tele_5W.jpg

This is going into my 52 reissue Fender Tele. I was surprised no ground between the two pots. The other diagram I referred to shows one. I've done some of the simple steps like reversing the direction of the switch. Using the lugs on the opposite side. Currently it reflects the connections shown above.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
They just choose to ground the cap to the tone pot. You could ground the cap to the ground on the volume pot if you'd like. No difference.

As long as you're using a metal control plate. The pots will ground each other through the plate.

I tend to ground the cap to the ground lug on the volume pot. Usually, unless for some reason I need the space between the pots.

That wiring scheme gives me some ideas on how to eliminate an extra switch on a guitar that I currently have.

Last edited:

Palaver

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the grounding info. I did some forensic work on the control area. Took all the connections off and cleaned up. Piece by piece soldered everything back. I setup my control cover Bill Kirchen style, and thought I might have hosed something backwards. Nope. Still the same problem. Going L to R on the switch,1 - Nothing, 2 - Neck, 3 - Neck, 4 - Neck & Bridge & 5 - Bridge

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Pictures?

Even a reversed control plate shouldn't be a big issue with that wiring. Something simple must be wrong.

Something grounding out when installed? Does it work without the control plate screwed down?

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
So 1 of your taps on the bridge isn't working. Hmm. What do the white and yellow(or red) taps from the bridge each read for resistance?

It kinda looks like a strat wired up for 5 way, but the tele's pickups all run to a common tone control later in the circuit, so no need to jumper to the other side of the switch (even though for all practicality it is a three pickup setup)

Last edited:

Palaver

TDPRI Member
Tunedupflat, you're on the right track. Didn't think to check DCR until a note from SD. I was so wound up over the wiring being the problem, usually. The wiring isn't the problem, the bridge pickup normally has two readings. In my case 6.0 & 9.0k. But the pickup reading on my meter said 6.0 and 1
I've sent the reading info to SD and maybe they can do a repair.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Good to hear that your headed in the right direction. I had figured it would be the high tap. If it was the low, you'd have had no bridge at all.

I have got into a habit of always checking the resistance when having issues as a way to eliminate where the problem lies.

Pro Tip..
A hand written personal note to MJ for when she looks at your pickup can just make her day. 😀

Palaver

TDPRI Member
Update: Off it goes to MJ. They'll do a rewind. what's nice is, the work is done. When I drop it back in and solder the leads back it'll work.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
I think you'll really dig it.

I use mine on a 4 way switch using neck, neck bridge, bridge low tap like a normal telecaster, and then bridge high tap all alone.

I've tried it on a 5 way switch and the extra mixed position was pretty cool, but I decided I wanted to just use the guitar like it had a 3 way switch and a "turbo boost" 🤣.