SCXD tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by mikm, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mikm

mikm TDPRI Member

Newbie to the forum question. I got a good price on a Tung-Sol 12AX7 along with a matched pair of Electro-Harmonix 6V6GT tubes for my SCXD that's about 1 1/2 yrs old. Will this be a good fit for this amp? Any other recommendations out there? Only mod was an excellent sounding Weber 10S ceramic speaker that really has improved this amps over all sound. (it was good to begin with, now it rocks). I thought new tubes would benefit, as these are the stock China tubes in there now.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They'll do well.

3. mikm

mikm TDPRI Member

Thanks, much appreciated. One other question, can other tube types be used to change the sound, tones, maybe volume etc of this amp without blowing something out etc?

4. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"Tube rolling" is the term for trying various make of tubes. It's fun, but not very productive.

Changes tend to be very small unless you have a bad tube in your amp..

Changing the speaker makes a much bigger difference.

5. mikm

mikm TDPRI Member

I meant for ex. like substituting a 12AT7, or 12AY7 for a 12AX7 Etc. Or maybe substitutions for the power tubes like a 6L6 for a 6V6 or whatever fits the plug holes etc. Sorry for such novice questions. I'm not to knowledgeable on tube amps. Thanks!

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't mess with it beyond making sure you have the right tubes in the right slots.

SCXDs with cooked bias resistors have started to show up on eBay as project amps. Sticking 6L6s or anything else besides 6V6s in it is a quick way to simultaneously void your warrantee and blow up your amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.