1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SCTV...I get it!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lowatter, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I loved SCTV. Particularly the half-hour version that aired in the Philadelphia area right after Saturday Night Live.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So was there a Chicago and a Toronto version?

Where did the hozers, the Mckenzie brothers come from?

lowatter likes this.
  3. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Yes! I was hoping someone would post this. One of my favorites.

What I loved about SCTV is that they didn't just have musicians come on the show and perform a song or two--they integrated them into a sketch. The best one (IMO) was a 50s spoof called 'I Was a Teenage Communist' starring Dave Edmunds as "Eddie Davis' best friend, Russ Riley"!

4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

You can read about the history of the Second City comedy group at Wikipedia -- it started in Chicago (hence the name) as a live comedy group doing sketches and improv on stage in the early 1960s, and then a second Second City o_O opened in Toronto in 1973. It was the latter (Toronto) troupe that created the weekly TV series, though some of its cast (including John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Harold Ramis, Dave Thomas, and Eugene Levy) were prior members of the Chicago troupe, as was John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, and Gilda Radner. I'm not sure what TV show they all ended up on. ;)

Rick Moranis wasn't a member of either of the Second City live troupes, but joined SCTV in 1980 after doing comedy on the radio and Canada's CBC-TV.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Thanks !!

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Now we all know where Rick Astley got his look.

[​IMG]

You've been Rick Rolled!

lowatter and Ed Driscoll like this.
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't think I've laughed like this in a LONG time...

lowatter likes this.
  8. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

It was truly a HILARIOUS skit comedy show. It was consistently much more funny than SNL (save for a few eras here and there) and spawned most of my favorite comedians. "He got blowed up good. He got blowed up REAL good!"

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

could you imgine for one minute being in the same room with Gilda Radner, John Candy , Andrea Martin , Rick Moranis, Martin Short and Dan Ackroyd, and try to carry on a serious coversation the not ready for prime time players were very close friends with the second city crew , man they must have had a blast .

My brother in law painted John Candy's house and asked for an autograph photo as payment , so John wrote , Thank you Gord for all the hard work , now where's the 5.00 you owe me?

Phrygian77 likes this.
  10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely...I remember the John Mellencamp/Ed Grimly Jeckyll and Hyde mashup. When Mellencamp let them show him with Ed’s pointy hair, I knew this was cool guy...

11. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Johnny larue, Count floyd, 3d house of slave chicks, tex and edna boyle, 5 neat guys, Great white north Ka look ooo ok oo oo oo oo, Guy Cavallaro, CRAZY LEGS HIRSCHMAN!
    Yea I kinda love them. All still around and doing well I think.

12. gnatp

gnatp TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thank you for posting this SCTV stuff. I still can't believe how funny they are.

13. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This one was always a favorite of mine. In the 70's a UHF station in Houston played a grade-z sci-if movie, "Zontar, The Thing From Venus" several times a year...never missed it. Then SCTV....

Loved that show...still spend hours watching it on YouTube.

Engine Swap likes this.
  14. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

A lot of the SCTV cast met while performing in 'Godspell' in 1972:

The Toronto production of Godspell opened at the Royal Alexandra Theatre in 1972, with an expectation of running for just a few dozen performances. It was a massive hit as well, closing more than a year later after 488 performances. That production is legendary for the budding young talent in the show—including Victor Garber (Alias, Titanic) as Jesus as well as future comedy stars Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Gilda Radner, Dave Thomas, and Martin Short. The show’s musical director was a sassy young fellow named Paul Shaffer.

Shaffer was the first of the crew to go to the U.S., working on the Broadway production of 'Godspell'. When he came back to Toronto, Martin Short asked him how good the New York actors were. Paul replied, "Honestly, you guys are just as good as they are."

black_doug likes this.
  15. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_City

Dave Thomas, Eugene Levy, John Candy and Martin Short all went to McMaster University in Hamilton Ontario Ca where I was born. Rick Moranis was from Toronto and went to school with Geddy Lee from Rush. Neil Peart(Rush's drummer may he RIP) was from Hamilton too. Catherine O'Hara was from Toronto. Joe Flaherty was from Pittsburgh but fit right in as a Canook.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    uriah1 likes this.
  16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

It was ALWAYS consistently funnier than SNL in my opinion.

17. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Gotta love it! They had the Plasmatics!

18. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

There was always something that seemed subversive and illegal about SCTV - I loved staying up late to watch it.

This was back in the days when TV would go "off the air". When SCTV was over, they would play the national anthem and then throw up a test pattern.

19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i go by johnny larue on facebook...i also was thinking of being john candy as the drummer from the queen haters but i dont know his name

maybe preteen worlds stefan as the drummer of the recess monkeys

dannyh, rz350 and bumnote like this.
  20. Howdog

Howdog TDPRI Member

One of my favorite John Candy sketches

61fury, rz350 and bumnote like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.