Screw securing PCB on Fender HRD isn't coming loose, HELP!

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I can turn it either way, and there's no resistance. The issue is that it just wont come out, no matter what I do.

Does anyone know what tools I can use to crush the screw head or extract the screw? I'm getting desperate. I need this thing fixed by February, and this screw is wasting valuable time. Would a soldering iron be able to melt the screw or at least soften it? Compounding the issue is the fact that the screw is super close to a resistor and two capacitors. Needle-nosed pliers can barely fit.

Alternatively, is it feasible to do the repair (replacing filter caps) from the top of the board?

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
If you can get something skinny like a dental pick in there to pull up on the screw head it might engage enough to back it out. If it's not plastic it won't melt.

Another possibility is delicately trying to pull up on it with a small flush cutter or hemostat. Go slow and gentle and try to feel the threads bite.

I think you do need access to the back in order to do it right. If there is access to the cap leads from the top, there's a chance of doing it from the top, but it won't be a clean or easy job.

Last edited:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Plan b) dremel a slot in it with a cutting wheel and try a big flathead screwdriver.
C) drill through the head. Use a magnet to grab filings/ shavings.

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It sounds like the piece underneath that it threads into is the issue - not the screw itself. If it's turning freely both directions, that piece is either stripped or broken.

No, you can't replace the parts on an HRD from the top.

If worse comes to worse, I'd try grinding off the entire screw head so you can at least pull the board up away from the standoffs. Then you can do any additional repairs to that screw system while the board is out of the way. The bad part is that will be messy and leave a lot of metal shavings, so you'd need an air compressor to clean things out.

Drilling through the head is also a good option, but if it's spinning freely that won't work.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
if it turns freely in both directions....It sounds to me like the screw head is twisted off.
You need to get a small thin blade of some kind under the head and pry upwards while unscrewing it.
If it's plastic...pry it up and unscrew until you can get it with a small pair of pliers...then just pry/pull it out.
(probably destroy head getting it out...but it sounds like it's toast anyway)
If it's a metal screw, just keep pressure on and unscrew. Getting the rest of the screw out might be a challenge.
Depending on where it's at and what it's secured too..drill and tap new threads is sometimes the best option.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Okay, I'm using the drilling method and it's working so far. I can jam a pair of tweezers under the head that keeps it steady while I drill, and there's a lot of material coming out. Should be a 10 minute job getting it out from here. Thanks for the help everyone!

On a sidenote, has anyone dealt with this website? https://www.amprepairparts.com/fendercapkits.htm
It looks very reputable, but I don't want to throw away $50 on a possible scam.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Okay, I'm using the drilling method and it's working so far. I can jam a pair of tweezers under the head that keeps it steady while I drill, and there's a lot of material coming out. Should be a 10 minute job getting it out from here. Thanks for the help everyone!

On a sidenote, has anyone dealt with this website? https://www.amprepairparts.com/fendercapkits.htm
As I recall, I bought a cap kit there once. No problems. But many of those sites look similar, I could be wrong. You can often tell a lot buy picking up the phone and talking to them.

wmsimpson

Tele-Holic

I've ordered parts from them many times. Never a problem.