Scratching the Gretsch/Tele Itch

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

methinks his mailing address is under a bridge:rolleyes:

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going to give it one more shot. I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess...

You made a TR cover because it was something you wanted. It's just a basic Rick TR cover, but you wanted a specific style. Good for you. You keep saying they can't be purchased, but Google tells me otherwise. Granted, they're expensive, but the point is, they CAN be bought.

Jamo made a guitar that was wanted but couldn't be bought. Yes, he essentially made a thinline, but not one that is in production. It's not a guitar you can buy. Anywhere.

So given all that, I'm out. I believe you're being purposefully obtuse and looking for a good internet argument, and I've obliged you for this long. However, if I wish to further work on my skills in arguing against someone for whom reason has no place, I'll do that with my 11 year old. At least I can send him to his room when he's being obnoxious.

3. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

A) 95% of those are counterfeit. I'm not buying illegal goods.
    B) you ever see the price of the rare few that do go up for sale? Three to five hundred dollars for a piece of two dollar plastic. I'm not going to support extortionists.

It is a Thinline Telecaster with modifications! Yes, a Thinline can be bought anywhere and then the mods can be done. Bigsby, a cherry stain, different pickups? It would have been far easier to buy a Thinline and just swap some parts.

People I am simply asking why build something that can be purchased?!? That's it. A simple question. Who knew that simple question would lead to this.

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

And you have been given numerous articulate, detailed, patient answers from a range of experienced, talented, supportive guitar builders.

Your question has been answered. What more do you actually want?

5. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

Have fun trying to put a metal tele control plate on a 72 thinline. If you think those guitars are essentially the same, you're wrong. That's why it's called a custom build. You can't buy what he's made from fender Unless you want to pay the custom shop thousands of dollars.

6. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Awesome build jamorudd. I'm sure that your friend is over the moon, I know I would be.

7. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Wow, this has been a fun read for my afternoon! Thanks everyone for all your input, I don't think there's much more that I need to add, other than a huge +1 to all of the above. If some people aren't yet convinced of the merits of guitar building, then I'm thinking it's just not for them!

Funny story, though, I went to Lowes today to buy some wood for a bookshelf I will be building for my fiancée. I then met my family for dinner and made the comment that the wood added up to be a bit more expensive than I had expected, to which my dad replied with "Why not just buy a bookshelf." I immediately thought "Oh, no! Not again..."

8. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

Your dad's a smart man.

9. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

That we can agree on, even if for different reasons!

10. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Try building a guitar, even a First Act replica, then you will understand (maybe :rolleyes:)

11. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

+1

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My two cents. I am amazed at the skills & creativity required to make these one of a kind guitars & while my skill set is barely of a "bolt neck kit" level, I have stuck a few together & there is no greater sensation than making music on a guitar that you put together yourself, however basically, even if it does look like a plank.

13. guitarthrower

guitarthrower TDPRI Member

Strummer, please just go away. We get that you don't agree and that is okay, but you also don't have to come back.

I came here to follow a beautiful build thread and learn from everyone here, instead you've graffiti'd all over the thread. You made an excellent pickguard or truss rod cover, what ever. Create a thread to talk about and leave everyone else alone.

14. mtmakela

mtmakela NEW MEMBER!

jamorudd that is a sweet looking guitar! I'm starting a tv jones / bigsby tele build myself and would love to know more about the bridge & bigsby setup - looks similar to a B5 kit (which is expensive!) ?

Did you have to shim the neck? Can't seem to find out if it is required with a jazzmaster style bridge...

15. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

I wasn't going to come back to this thread...until I saw that you called me back.

I still am looking for the answer to why build when you can buy something similar?

And a big thanks to guitarthrower for starting this topic up again. He seems to want an answer, too.

16. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

This has gone on long enough.

This is the Do-It-Yourself forum. Repeatedly asking why you would do it yourself amounts to trolling, which is prohibited here.

Thread closed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.