Scraping paint from top edge of binding.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Irving, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Irving

Irving TDPRI Member

I'm trying to scrap paint off the face of binding. I taped off the sides and left the narrow top section uncovered. I have sectioned off a razor blade with masking tape as I've heard is a good idea to do. I have barely begun, but all I can say is holy good god. How is this possible to do and have it look perfect? I let the guitar dry overnight. The razor blade gouges the binding and doesn't even leave it with a smooth surface. The blade seems to have a tendency to skip and jump on the finish/binding and hard to control. Right now, I see it as being pretty dang near impossible to make it the whole way around this guitar and have a perfect line between binding edge and paint. Wish I'd gotten some 1/8" masking tape and just tried to tape it because this is awful. This is my tenth guitar, but the first time I have done binding and paint together. Any advice?

2. wesman

wesman Tele-Meister

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

The few guitars with binding I've done, I took a 1/2" dowel about 2" long, cut a slit in the top and insert a razor knife blade extending out the thickness of the binding. The dowel 'rides' along the edge of the body for stability. Just angle the whole thing a little backwards when you start scraping. Meaning edge of blade away from the direction of scraping.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

My binding scraper , you can adjust the depth of cut to match the thickness or depth of the binding , works good .

[​IMG]

5. Irving

Irving TDPRI Member

Wow. Thanks for the picture. That's one hell of an idea!

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Stewmac has both scrappers and a sharpening tool. They have several sizes and one that is great for binding.
    Razors can work in some areas, but they have too much flex and are harder to control.
    If you have already gouged the binding and your blade is skipping then you need to practice on technique.
    Scrappers can work wonders if you have the right one and know how to use it.
    It's hard to describe the technique, but there are no doubt plenty of how to videos, but don't keep gouging the binding.
    Get the right tool and some know how before continue, or you will probably be doing a do-over.

7. Irving

Irving TDPRI Member

Came out good in the end.

[​IMG]

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ooooo--REDDD! Yummy. Great job on the binding, too, it looks super. Did you make a scraper like Adirondak5 showed?

9. Irving

Irving TDPRI Member

No, I just wrapped about 20 layers of masking tape around the razor blade to create a thick fence. I sure learned alot doing this for the first time. I was convinced it was impossible for about an hour this morning.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I use hand-prepared cabinet scrapers. Razor blades are too flexible and hit-or-miss IMO. Cabinet scrapers give you much better control - however, as with any procedure, you should practice on scrap before ever working on a guitar.

11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I use a version of adirondak5's tool (learned it here, for sure) but I use a utility knife blade instead of a razor blade. I've seen vids of the talented ladies at Gibson using what looks like the blade from a snap-off utility knife, without any handle or guide of any kind other than their fingers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.