Scorsese's The Band documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by igor5, Feb 15, 2020.

1. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Excellent! That quote should be the Official TDPRI slogan...

Mexitele Blues, Greggorios and igor5 like this.
  2. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

What are you talking about! :p

3. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

"The Last Waltz" is still one of my all-time favorite concert films. Talk about a show that would have been incredible to have been there for...

4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought the same thing and agree. Good goin' @getbent.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It was 2 years of overdubbing by Robertson and Scorsese reportedly in a drug stupor, and not to the rest of the Band's liking. Suddenly Robertson became more important by their doing so. I love the Band, but even before that Robertson wasn't high on my list.

nvilletele and kuvash like this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm looking forward to this film. Always anxious to learn more about talented musicians regardless of the infighting and axes to be ground.

7. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Looking forward to the concert/tour footage and other musicians' recollection of the Band and the influence on their own sound. Not really interested in Robbie's self serving recollections but will watch it.

nvilletele and RYAN1987M like this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Literally one of the worst songs ever

jguitarman, dan1952 and cnlbb like this.
  9. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

What I'm always hoping for in these documentaries is footage of the artists performing (especially live) that hasn't been available before.

It's disappointing to see that Band appreciation has devolved into a grudge match between Robbie and Levon partisans. Both were key to the music we've enjoyed so much, but so were Richard, Rick and Garth.

The Last Waltz would have been much better had Richard not been MIA, but one can't really blame the others for that...he was my favorite among three really great singers.

black_doug, Bob M, nvilletele and 3 others like this.
  10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I'll watch it, but giving Robbie that kind of billing my be legit, but still sucks. Why do that?

nvilletele likes this.
  11. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It seems to be a documentary about Robbie Robertson, not just The Band.

I love The Band, so I'm looking forward to watching it. Maybe Robbie will surprise us with some soul-searching.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the “heads up”

Jim622 likes this.
  13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I loved the Band. That's all.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm reminded of Ronnie Hawkins' remark after a screening of The Last Waltz: "Hey, Robbie doesn't get enough screen time!"

15. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

I'm looking forward to seeing this - Robbie made some great music after the band, too!

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Let me say first, I was a Richard Manuel nut and nobody who is the 4th best singer (and IMO not a very good one) such as Robertson is ever gonna get too high on my list.......

But the idea is to get people to recognize what this project is and that's Step One. The problem with groups with names like The Band and The Church and The Jam is, search engines often don't find what you're looking for. Youngsters and non music obsessives could miss out on this entirely. So, what do you do? Answer: Put Robbie's name up there up front so people will spot it from afar. Otherwise the whole enterprise could fail.

Never assign malice or stupidity to people when there's another explanation. In this way, when people truly are a cult of malice and stupidity, they'll stand out more clearly.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Commodore 64 and bumnote like this.
  17. boris bubbanov

I mean, let's look at this in context. Robertson's contribution is really substantial. If his participation wasn't indispensable, it was within bounds of that. He's got bona fides. No matter what you say, he's got to be an honest 18-20% of what we saw. And that's something.

Let's compare this to Mike Love and the Beach Boys. Love's level of contribution is paltry, or less than paltry, and he's holding the whole bag at this point. Love has monetized the Dickens out of a legendary musical group. I'm saving my contempt for guys like Mike Love - easy choice for me.

Modman68, nvilletele and Jim622 like this.
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Than couldn't it have been any other members name there with the same effect? Levon Helm and the Band, Rick Danko and the....? The point of The Bands name was to not put anyone ahead of any other. The main reason they left The Hawk. I like a lot of R.R.s music from The Band, and a lot of his solo stuff, but he is not a person that if he was in my circle, I would ever trust. The man can write some songs though, but he had more than a little help way back when, and he seems to have forgotten that. I understand him having Ill feelings, having to carry the load when they were down, but they, according to the title, were brothers. You don't treat family that way.

19. boris bubbanov

I think equating bands to families, is faulty.

There's a hard edged dynamic to most of the great bands that IMO would not belong in a fully functioning human family.

From an emotional standpoint, except for Hudson these guys were on a tightrope for years. The delicate undertaking of the "ultimate in a balanced effort" is really hard I think, and just about impossible to maintain for long. Look at how, in Cream, Baker, Bruce and Clapton are just on the ragged edge for the whole time. Substances make the dynamic even more fragile.

Families aren't easy work, but I don't think they compare to getting up on the big stage and gambling that you all will once again, please the troublemakers we call "the audience".
    Five guys, all juggling running chainsaws all at once, and far from home. Difficult.

20. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

While Robbie is the schmooziest salesman among the group and pretty much a shameless self promoter at heart, I'd still trust his version of events over Levon's. Robbie has shown a lot of self awareness and humility over the years and has been careful to never engage with the critics. I love Levon Helm's music, he's been great at keeping our musical heritage alive and vibrant and he was a great singer and strong musician. But he didn't comport himself well in the whole Band bickering.

RR was the guy who seemed to take care of business while the others were drunk, high and swimming in groupies. It seems like he's always had to be the adult in the room.

I'm looking forward to watching this documentary, though I didn't care much for The Last Waltz (it suffered from the same problems as Rattle and Hum. It wasted valuable time posing for the cameras when it could have spent that time telling a real story).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.