Scorsese to direct Grateful Dead biopic

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Groovy! If you're dying for Dead check out this bio/history of the band. It's very good and is free on Amazon Prime.

A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead​

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Man, I almost never take a pass on anything even remotely Dead related. But I’m not feeling this at all. I hope I’m wrong, but this just doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Why? Will the movie make you feel different about something you already like?

Help me understand the thought logic.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Why? Will the movie make you feel different about something you already like?

Help me understand the thought logic.
I’m a big fan of documentaries. I almost never like biopics about pop culture icons.

Actors playing fictional characters is one thing. Actors playing actual people is another. I can get past it with folks like Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, Socrates, Napoleon, Jesus, etc. cause there’s no one alive who knew them, there’s no video footage of them, and no audio recordings. So there’s nothing to really get wrong. I usually don’t have any trouble believing that it’s the way it happened.

I have hundreds of hours of Dead on tap. I’ve seen all the documentaries. I’ve seen so many hours of live footage I’ve lost count. These aren’t fictional characters. They’re people I feel like I’ve known my whole life. It just seems kinda… creepy and weird.

I also have to ask myself “why?”. With all the documentary work, print stuff, and live footage and audio recordings available, with the real people, why do we need this and what purpose does it serve? Just plain old fun entertainment? We already have plenty, and probably plenty more that hasn’t even seen the light of day yet. The Dead’s recorded content vaults for audio are the stuff of legend. I’m sure there’s plenty of video we’ve never seen, too. I don’t know. Seems like it might almost be more fun if it were animated of something.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I’m a big fan of documentaries. I almost never like biopics about pop culture icons.

Actors playing fictional characters is one thing. Actors playing actual people is another. I can get past it with folks like Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, Socrates, Napoleon, Jesus, etc. cause there’s no one alive who knew them, there’s no video footage of them, and no audio recordings. So there’s nothing to really get wrong. I usually don’t have any trouble believing that it’s the way it happened.

I have hundreds of hours of Dead on tap. I’ve seen all the documentaries. I’ve seen so many hours of live footage I’ve lost count. These aren’t fictional characters. They’re people I feel like I’ve known my whole life. It just seems kinda… creepy and weird.

I also have to ask myself “why?”. With all the documentary work, print stuff, and live footage and audio recordings available, with the real people, why do we need this and what purpose does it serve? Just plain old fun entertainment? We already have plenty, and probably plenty more that hasn’t even seen the light of day yet. The Dead’s recorded content vaults for audio are the stuff of legend. I’m sure there’s plenty of video we’ve never seen, too. I don’t know. Seems like it might almost be more fun if it were animated of something.

Fair points. Could the same be said with the Queen or Elton John movies? .yeah I guess...

I do think some movies create trouble for the historical accuracy...wasn't that a critique of the JFK movie back in the day?

A biopic about a cultural icon isn't as harmful I guess. I do like the animated thought or maybe Pixar.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Fair points. Could the same be said with the Queen or Elton John movies? .yeah I guess...

I do think some movies create trouble for the historical accuracy...wasn't that a critique of the JFK movie back in the day?

A biopic about a cultural icon isn't as harmful I guess. I do like the animated thought or maybe Pixar.
The ones I liked, not because of any startling accuracy or Oscar-worthy portrayals, but because they actually seemed to purposely be more of a caricature/exaggeration for the sake of entertainment, were the Motley Crue film “Dirt”, and “CBGB” with Alan Rickman. I enjoyed both of those quite a bit. It appeared (to me, anyhow) that the filmmakers used them as vehicles to capture the utter ridiculousness and excess that occurred during the eras, and within the environments they were meant to portray. It worked.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Might have been noted before. But who is doing the soundtrack? Will be interesting to say the least. Does J. Hill play? I can't see his fingers moving like Jerry's. He is a great actor. But is he willing to lose a finger? RIP Garcia!