Scorsese to direct Grateful Dead biopic

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
88CBCD17-BAC4-4D98-9054-D744B14EC7AE.jpeg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
As a big Grateful Dead fan, and someone who holds Jerry in high esteem, I'll admit to being a bit nervous about this project.

I like Jonah Hill and Scorsese though, so I'll try to remain optimistic they won't botch this.

They certainly have their work cut out for them! Jonah will have to dig deep to sustain the energy of the young Jerry.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I can't remember the name of the dang movie ( not a huge one)

but Jonah Hill was really good as Marisa Tomei's adult son, trying to deal with her new boyfriend ( jealous of the new attention to someone else...) John C. Reilly.
Pretty serious and emotional

Edit- maybe 'Cyrus' ?

Last edited:

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
I think it will be fine. Scorsese did well with "Long Strange Trip" and the Stones movie. He directs these music/bio as a genuine fan it seems. The original band members and those closest to the characters all seem to be involved. It should be entertaining.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm trying my best to keep an open mind but these things usually don't turn out well.

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
I realize this isn’t apples to apples, but Scorsese did a good job on the Stones. Holding out hope he can repeat here.

He did, and his Band movie, "The Last Waltz" may be the greatest concert movie at all. But those are that, concert movies; this is not. (I suppose he could use footage from Dead shows but that might look odd if we see the real Jerry playing onstage and then see an actor playing Jerry offstage.)

I have no strong feeling about the project one way or the other. Scorsese is a great director and he loves rock music, so it could be good. Have to wait and see, I guess.