Scored a "needy" Partscaster - Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Lost_N_Austin, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I found a nice Telecaster in need of some TLC. I got the nearly completed guitar along with a Fender hard-shell plastic case for $100.00 at Pawnshop. "SCORE" It was missing strings, string-trees, a proper set-up and wiring/soldering expertise. Once I got it together and played it, I really didn't care for the contrasting colors of the dark neck and the light/bright body. So I dove into my extra parts bins and came up with a Chrome cover Humbucker and a nice new (complimentay color I Think) Pickguard with a Humbucker opening.

When I did some researching for wiring diagrams for a four wire Humbucker and a three position control switch, I ran across an article that described the Humbucker in a Rolling Stones (Keith?) guitar that had the visible external screws in the rearward position so I did that to my guitar.

Now for the request for opinions. Does it make any difference in the sound/output of the guitar in this reversed position. Would I even notice a difference if if I swapped it 180? Does it look "wrong"?

Do you even care???

IMG_6191.jpg
    Let me know if you have any experience with this or have an opinion.

Lost_N_Austin

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

picture not showing up.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I hit enter before I answered the bucker question.

I for one like the pole pieces of the bucker closer to the bridge and the humbucker closest to the neck with the pole pieces closer to the neck. At least that is what I have seen for covered buckers. However I really don't see why this would matter that much in the sound of the humbucker in total.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

NICE!!!!!.....what brand? The case alone is worth nearly what you paid. Enjoy!

Steve Holt likes this.
  5. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Body is a three piece but you almost have to be forensic scientist to detect it. Full width like MIM of USA. Not a light guitar but even though I had the neck off of it two or three times, I didn't see any identifying markings. CTS Pots and full size selector switch. Looks just like any good quality Fender guitar. I don't like that the truss rod adjusts at the heel and has to be broken down to make a "guesswork" adjustment.

Lost_N_Austin

nojazzhere and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Groovy!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Lost_N_Austin likes this.
  8. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a neckbucker in mine and I tried this awhile back: no noticeable difference.

Lost_N_Austin likes this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Keith's Micawber has the neck humbucker slammed right up against the neck heel pretty much, which leaves the HB pole pieces pretty much exactly where the original pickup would be.

I see a lot of Micawber replicas that show a 1/2" of pickguard between the pickup and the neck heel.

Nice guitar though and a great deal.

Someone should start a Micawber replica thread here. I've seen some nice ones on these pages.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.