1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Scooped mids on a Vox AC-15?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TelenTubes, Mar 17, 2020.

1. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

So I have an AC-15 and love it, but would like, for certain songs, to get the more scooped mids/nasally sound.

Running a Keeley compressor and an OCD, and delay for pedals...

Am I looking at having to run an EQ pedal?

Here's the model I have.

download.jpg

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Are you using the Top Boost channel? It's already pretty scooped.

TelenTubes likes this.
  3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I tried both yesterday, but wasn't quite getting enough scoop? I'm not even sure I'm describing what I'm after. It might be scooped, but was looking for more of the nasally sound. So maybe not scooped enough?

Hope I'm making sense.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cocked wah pedal.

TelenTubes likes this.
  5. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Oh! I like it. I do have a wah. Will give it a try.

6. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Crank the treble knob, they are interactive so the higher it goes the more bass gets cut. Super nasally tones are easy to get with this amp.

TelenTubes likes this.
  7. cobaltu

cobaltu Tele-Meister

The VOX "top boost" channel is pretty scooped - about as much as a fender - but it's a bad voicing if you want 'nasally'. The VOX mid scoop is centered around 800Hz, the Fender is lower at about 500Hz.

With respect to EQ, we usually perceive 'nasally' as sort of middle-mids, 800Hz-2000Hz. Again, the VOX EQ cuts right at the lower range of this. If you want to add more 'nasalliness', boost an EQ around 1500Hz. It might be a good idea to find an EQ that is parametric rather than graphic. That way you can hunt around for the right frequency you want.

They have a good point! If you don't have a good EQ pedal, Crank the treble and use the tone control (low pass) on your guitar to reign in the extra bleedy treble. Or 'Tone Cut' on the amp.

TelenTubes likes this.
  8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Have you tried a Stratocaster?

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

You could try a Joyo AC Tone or American Sound. The EQ section on these is pretty versatile. Dirt cheap and it also gives you a backup in the event your amp dies at a gig. I use mine to go straight to the PA at rehearsal, sounds great

10. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Actually, YES! And it gets fairly close using the bridge/middle pickup combo.

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

The current Vox "Custom" Series amps have the "anti-scoop" mod installed.

The classic Top Boost circuit runs the "mid" resistor in parallel with the Bass control, so that is becomes part of the tone circuit So if you max the Bass and Treble, you get a notch filter at around 500 Hz. This can be demonstrated in the Duncan Tone Stack Calculator. If you plug the same values in a marshall amp you'll see you get a 10dB deeper "scoop."

In the past Vox has tried to sell this "feature" as an "interactive tone control"

This was a switchable option on the "custom classic" series and some handwired amp still have this quirky circuit in it.

I have simulated this with a Marshall DSL401 (the only amp I owned at the time). I dropped the 400 Hz on a graphic EQ down 12dB and it sounded very voxy!

In my builds, I keep the classic circuit, though I have added a switch to "undo" it. With my normal settings, it doesn't make much of a difference, but if I really want a scooped Tone, the Max Bass/Treble trick is always an option with the classic circuit.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think of nasal tone as excessive mids not scooped mids.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.