Scolded by a butcher

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is Murica after all.

drlucky and Deathray like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't understand all the derision for the employee. Why is everything an affront? Was he shaming, or was he simply trying to help - like, hey, buy the other one, it's cheaper and tastes the same. People used to appreciate that kind of thing. It was how stores built relationships with good customers.

Also, grass fed is much more expensive to raise. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/08/why-grass-fed-beef-costs-more/index.htm. Where did the idea come from that it is an easier method for the ranchers?

drlucky and Chester Burnett like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

it is more about hand washing... but, yeah, I guess 'meat' is still the issue... either way, until the robots start picking... e coli knows no bounds.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We have better cheese than the elites! Our burgers are bigger than the elites!

drlucky and telemnemonics like this.
  5. getbent

more processed than say... the beloved tofu?

boredguy6060, Deathray and MilwMark like this.
  6. getbent

One of the greatest lines in the film Barfly (a film with many great lines) is 'he hates help.'

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And about being present in the soil. And the fact that we eat lettuce, and lots of other produce, you know, raw. So there is no cooking "kill step." And washing doesn't always help because the pathogen may penetrate the outermost layer.

Waddya gonna do though, right? The odds still say its a lot better for me to eat an apple and a salad every day.

drlucky, Paul in Colorado and getbent like this.
  8. getbent

and a steak! I think the 'thinkers' are about to decide that eating meat turns out to be a good idea for lots of peeps... and the fear of all that stuff is 'real' but, the numbers show it is not a big deal...

drlucky, Nickadermis and MilwMark like this.
  9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

drlucky likes this.
  10. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

LOL @ meat shaming!

If the guy had just said "that the one you put back was a better value and he felt there was no difference in flavor or quality" that would be one thing. Saying "I don't understand why anyone would buy that" about something I was buying is a different story and demonstrates that he also doesn't understand customer service.

I agree about grass fed beef though. More work and more land use. Better for the animals and our health but this country's palate isn't used to beef raised the old fashioned way.

drlucky likes this.
  11. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

We actually started to buy sirloin steak and grind it ourselves. It's really quite a bit better than any pre-ground I find in my area.
    Perhaps because we are handling it less before cooking?
    For seasoning, we simply use a bit of S&P and Penzy's Chicago Steak seasoning. Yummy.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My Mom is such an easy going person, but she has two basic rules:

One is Tell NO Lies and Two, No Bashing the Beef Industry in her house. Most of her women friends are passed on now, but quite a number of them raised cattle, and they'd have been mortified if I had started talking about all the bad stuff going on over there at the Harris Ranch, and at similar beef processing facilities. And on their ranches to be honest.

What is going on out there in the fields where the salad greens are being grown, is tiddlywinks next to the toxic stuff that's being done in the Beef Industry and yes, this applies to California also. You've driven up and down I-5 and so you know what I'm talking about.

Some of my friends grew up on farms and raised ALL their own beef, ever since they were kids. Heck, when they went off to school and tried to eat the beef the rest of us had been eating all along, they got sick. If I could raise my own cattle and control what these critters ate, you bet I'd be happy to eat 'em. But that's not what 99% of Americans do. They eat Factory Beef. And I'm not good with that.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    drlucky and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Almost overnight we should be paying more attention to everything...food, water, industrial. agricultural, energy sector, everywhere as regulations and safeguards are being discarded right and left. No joking matter when it comes to poisoned food and water...

14. getbent

this won't be popular but... it is mostly bs. we live in easily the safest time for food ever. we also live in a world of 24 hour news and almost no interest in thoughtful reportage.... people are attracted to fear and horror (I have netflix, it is evident) and big is evil... unless you are big and evil...

anyway, I have flown in on my buddy's plane to harris ranch and eaten there many times... it is good!

loco gringo, william tele and drf64 like this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a big chunk of grass fed ground beef in my freezer right now. It was a gift when I played the Farmers Market. I don't eat that high on the food chain. Anybody want it?

16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’m not eating tofu.
    I’m sure it’s me just being unwilling to try new things but, I ain’t eating tofu.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd been giving a real lot of thought to all of this, going all the way back to having an organic vegetable garden when there were just a small handful of promoters of this (such as J.I. Rodale). Then I'd hit a wall and binge on junk food.

The 1970s was such an amazing era, because some places were horribly polluted while others were quite virginal. Our main concern, for example at my cousin's in Ohio, was the discharge from the Coal Fired Power Plants and it was insanely bad. Whereas up in North Tonawanda (Upper New York State) we were scarred by Love Canal. But in other instances the soil and water weren't screwed up, or not yet.

I think there's been a general homogenization of some of the risks to our soils, air and water. The dirty places are less dirty and the clean places are less clean. Maybe Randy is right that our food is not our main concern, and that plastic in everything and synthetic hormones and endocrine disrupters are a much greater concern. The idea that substances in Hand Sanitizer could be hurting us more than possible listeria or salmonella, that's probably true.

I still think out your way, the diminution of the Ogallala Aquifer is maybe Hazard #1. A lot of commercial/agricultural activity will collapse once the cost of bringing in water begins to be factored in to the cost of doing business. I'm wondering when people will use surplus solar and wind power to inject flood waters deep into the ground where the ground water is depleted.

drlucky and william tele like this.
  18. william tele

I have to confess to have drifted and expanded on the original concerns over USDA scrutiny. I'm simply referring to what's actually happening nationwide to regulation roll backs in every aspect of industry. No media bias involved.

19. william tele

You touched on many things that are paramount. The OA (Ogallala Aquifer) is one of the greatest resources in this country and needs to be protected. This is THEE direct link to our food and something us Midwesterners take for granted all too often. Amen to all you wrote...

drlucky and boris bubbanov like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Not even the little cubes in your miso soup?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.