Scientist claims to have invented revolutionary bass guitar strings

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by wyclif, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

He's just yet another snake oil salesman.

samplesize.jpg

SlingBlader and nojazzhere like this.
  2. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Scratching something that doesn't itch.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This article says McCartney’s first instrument was a bass, but didn’t he play guitar until they kicked Stu out?

jtees4 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I DID read the article, and first thing I thought was "Onion" or some other satirical media......April 1st isn't until tomorrow, unless I've completely lost track of days. Besides.....I want an invention that improves the typical bass player's "attitude".....the instrument itself is just fine. ;)

Deeve likes this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Then you need a guitar, not a bass.

6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Some people can play more than one instrument. Most of those bug guys also played the piano ;)

7. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Or maybe try listening to music that was made in a year that stars with "2".

8. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I get that. I’m saying the article incorrectly states that Paul’s first instrument was a bass. I’d read a few Beatles books several years ago, and that didn’t sound right. So I just did a little digging and found this:

Jim encouraged Paul and his brother Mike to be musical, and gave Paul a trumpet following the death of his mother. When skiffle became a national craze, however, Paul swapped the instrument for a £15 Framus Zenith acoustic guitar.

Being left-handed, Paul initially had trouble playing the instrument. He later learned to restring it, and wrote his first song, I Lost My Little Girl. He took music lessons for a while, but preferred instead to learn by ear. Paul also began playing piano, and wrote When I’m Sixty-Four while still living at Forthlin Road.Paul McCartney met John Lennon at the Woolton fete on 6 July 1957, between performances by The Quarrymen. They became friends and began writing and performing songs together. McCartney later persuaded Lennon to allow George Harrison into the band as lead guitarist in 1958.

The Beatles, as they became, gradually grew in popularity after performing many times in and around Liverpool and Hamburg, Germany. After Stuart Sutcliffe left the band, McCartney reluctantly took over his role as bass guitarist. He later bought a left-handed 1962 Hofner bass, which became part of The Beatles’ iconography during the 1960s.

So Paul picked up bass AFTER guitar AND after piano. Reluctantly.

9. ELEKTR0N

ELEKTR0N TDPRI Member

Scientists also discovered that bass guitarists are like Vice Presidents...nobody knows who they are, or what they do & generally people aren’t able to name more than 3 of them without googling it first... if you’re to name your five favorite songs of all time

(each from a different band, so you can’t name 5 Stevie Ray Vaughan songs & say “Tommy Shannon” or 5 Ozzy Songs & day “Rudy Sarzo” or 5 Red Hot Chili Peppers songs & say “Flea” & Les Claypool doesn’t count!! He was a medium-average regular guitar player with a 6-String Bass & DAMN!! That’s the four I know off the top of my head....)

10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

What does that have to do with anything? Did they change the definition of "bass" in the last 20 years? Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 11.34.32 AM.png

11. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I forgot which forum I was logged into... carry on with flatwounds and foam mutes.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So he focuses on the low B string, played at the 21st fret. M'kay.

13. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes. He played Stu's bass initially. If the article is wrong about that, I don't want to hear the rest.

14. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, guitar was. He taught John how to play better, and George also at times, though George was a good player for the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.