1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Science Fiction Gripe

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Nov 20, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've been watching some old episodes of Enterprise. Not bad, not great, worth streaming.

When they are on planet, or in the ship, and when dealing with aliens, everything is described in meters, or kilometres per hour, hours, etc.

OK, you have to use something but:

Meters are a measure relative to earth.

Hours / seconds are a concept relative to earth.

Space distances are measured in light years - the distance light will travel in a year, again, relative to earth.​

Solution? I don't know. Distance could be a multiple of the wavelength of white light? Maybe time should be based on some frequency of light or something else. Maybe a half-life of some element?

I'm sure some some physicists have a found a solution / better measurement system. I just have not looked it up.

Just griping about little stuff here. Maybe some of you can relate.

SecretSquirrel, String Tree and Wulf like this.
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

There are now universal definitions for these units, which don't correspond directly to earth dimensions, or her orbital or rotational properties any longer.

From Wikipedia:

The metre is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 of a second.

[The second is] defined by taking the fixed numerical value of the caesium frequency ∆νCs, the unperturbed ground-state hyperfine transition frequency of the caesium-133 atom, to be 9192631770 when expressed in the unit Hz, which is equal to s^−1.

There are two reasons this was done: Precision and accuracy, for one, and abandoning terracentrism for another. Both of those definitions are expected (barring some extremely unexpected undiscovered laws of physics) to be the same anywhere in the universe.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Not to be an ass but it’s just movies. If your timeframe is days, hours, minutes, seconds then why not in your sci fi state. Distance is a measurement that can be whatever you want

4. unixfish

Brilliant. This was what I was thinking about. Now if we could just round some of those numbers...

Now that you mention it, I do remember the Caesium-133 reference for time. I guess I forgot about that over the course of decades.

Wulf likes this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Real-world answer: Why metric? Sounds sciencey. Why do aliens get it? One less writing hurdle.

In-universe answer: I dunno. Maybe something to do with how they all understand each other in general. Our metric system may also me a universal Federation/Starfleet, thing, though in Enterprise Starfleet is just Earth and the Federation isn't a thing yet.

I like Enterprise, particularly the season 2 finale through the first two episodes of season 4.

Also, just being pedantic, but the speed of light is not "relative to Earth". It's relative to its source, if anything.

Richie Cunningham, Wulf and unixfish like this.
  6. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

Oh yeah - also the definition of light-year doesn't have anything to do with (and doesn't make reference to) "relative to Earth".

jman72, Dadpa, RodeoTex and 2 others like this.
  7. unixfish

Because this is where my mind goes at night when I'm trying to unwind.

Frodebro, gregulator450 and Wulf like this.
  8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Television is very different medium than a book, where a science-fiction writer can take time away from the story to carefully detail how a new technology or measurement system works.

Minus commercials, hour-long TV shows run about 52 minutes. The shows have a rigid structure -- four acts, plus a teaser opening and a wrap-up scene. The pacing has to be fast enough to not bore the audience. As part of that, the dialogue has to be tight enough to explain to the audience what's going on, but not bore them with unnecessary details, or techno-babble that requires a lengthy explanation. The Star Trek franchise is lucky that, by virtue of having been around for over half a century, the bulk of the viewers don't need terms like warp drive, the transporter room, Star Fleet, the Federation, phasers, photon torpedoes, Vulcans, Orions, Klingons, Romulans, etc., explained to them. During the original series, Gene Roddenberry often took lengthy techno-filled explanations written by his writers (particularly writers with a science-fiction background) and cut them down to terse phrases: "the ship reads about a mile in diameter." "They're still several miles out," etc. That's a rule that has served ST in its various incarnations quite well.

7171551 and unixfish like this.
  9. unixfish

The speed of light is constant. The measurement, either 186,000 miles per second or 3.0 x 10^8 meters per second, uses the second as defined on earth. I am just being difficult, yeah, but still.

Deaf Eddie, Wulf and SixStringSlinger like this.
  10. unixfish

Light-year. Earth rotation around the sun is a year - unit of earth time.

Deaf Eddie, SuprHtr and Wulf like this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'll see your difficulty and raise you...

The speed of light makes no reference to Earth or any human experience. Our calculation of the speed of light does ;)

12. unixfish

Yeah, I know, and I agree. But do I need to point out the typo? :lol::lol::lol:

Over an hour, you get 42 minutes of "show", and a good minute to minute and a half of that is theme song. Star Trek series builds on itself, so a lot of that can be given a pass.

Exactly as you said.

Wulf likes this.
  13. unixfish

Very true - and sort of my point. That speed is constant. Our measurement units are based on earth. But the speed has nothing to do with us - just the units. Agree, agree, agree, agree....

Well posted. Thank you.

Wulf and SixStringSlinger like this.
  14. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Yeah, I was sort of guesstimating the current time of a TV show minus its commercials, without bothering to look up how little is left these days after all the ads.

unixfish likes this.
  15. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

That's a good point, I was thinking of the light second (299 792 458 meters).

unixfish likes this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

That doesn't bother me; in Trek they wave it away with "universal translation," which presumably converts to the other specie's units for you.
    The thing that always gripes me in sci-fi are those damned see-though monitors that you always see... Just, why? I don't want to see what's behind the screen, I want to see what's on the screen. That's why I'm looking at it in the first place.

dogmeat, paulblackford and unixfish like this.
  17. unixfish

I edited my reply - after posting it looked a little cranky.

42 minutes is what most shows are. The Tonight Show is down to 38 minutes in a hour episode. My wife used to record these, and I would count commercials when I skipped them. 44 commercials in an hour. Just unacceptable.

Wulf likes this.
  18. unixfish

Are we related? :lol::lol::lol:

Wulf likes this.
  19. unixfish

Oddly enough, I had not thought of the universal translator. Hmmmm. But the mouth is always in synch with the dialog - it should be more like a dubbed film. :D

Wulf likes this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

At least in Trek they don't talk about the time required to make a run in parsecs. ;)

Deaf Eddie, Maricopa, AAT65 and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.