Schu Tone Pedal... Super Noisy!.. Take a look inside and tell me whats up??

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Hey TDPRI'ers,

For those of you who have built or at least can identify whats going on inside a pedal.. I need your advice..

I received this random Schu Tone Pedal for free.. I believe its a custom OD pedal, and its just noisy as all get out.. With the Level above 9 it just hums like mad and with teh Drive above 9 it squeals like a pig. This is regardless of what outlet, transformer, cable or guitar used. None of my other pedals do this. I also isolated it and still.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think is going on.. I also emailed Schu Tone, but havent heard back yet.

TIA

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 31

generic202

Tele-Meister
It looks like a homebrewed pedal with terrible soldering job from what I could see. Anything could be wrong with this pedal. Not worth the time to even diagnose it IMO. Pass it onto some DIYer and they would at least re-purpose the enclosure for something else.

giogolf

Tele-Meister
It looks like a homebrewed pedal with terrible soldering job from what I could see. Anything could be wrong with this pedal. Not worth the time to even diagnose it IMO. Pass it onto some DIYer and they would at least re-purpose the enclosure for something else.

I was thinking if it wasnt salvageable.. then I would take the Pots out and put them in my broken but well loved Vox V810 Od pedal.. WHo knows if it the right Ohms though..

giogolf

Tele-Meister
So kinda weird update... I just took the whole thing apart.. and decided to plug it in.. And wouldn't you know it.. the sound disappeared .. Basically it was a case of 50 pounds of sh*t stuffed in a 5 pound bag.. Everything was interfering with one another..

So now.. Im thinking of wrapping each part in electrical tape or nashua alu tape to shield it all from each other.