1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

School project tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Camritch, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Camritch

Camritch TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm a 16 year old student about to embark on a project to build myself a Thin Line Tele, I am a capable woodworker and proficient multi-instrumentalist. Many of the instruments I play are ones that I have built myself so I'm no stranger to making instruments.
    I plan to run a body microphone, SD Hot Rails Bridge and an SD Alnico 2 lipstick on the neck for this, and i mocked up a plan for a wiring diagram for this, featuring two, 3 way switches, a volume for the mic, a master volume and a master tone. I am looking for any suggestions to this diagram, but nothing too major, as I designed it with the aim to have total control over the sound produced, I am mostly looking for input on small errors that I may have made, as this is my first homemade schematic.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 7.35.19 PM.png

2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I have used the acoustic under saddle wire-type peizo pickup on a Tele, cutting a small channel under the bridge and placing the pickup in line with the saddles. However, like acoustic guitars, it needs a pre-amp. Not sure how your microphone works or not but you should test it and see what you might need. There are some small pre-amps on ebay for a few dollars but then you'll need a battery and battery access. Get one to test.

I'd be tempted to put in a 5-way Strat switch with a Dan Armstrong blender pot. One way is a regular Strat operation, the other gives a Les Paul 'neck and middle' humbucker or 'bridge and middle' humbucker. I've done this on three of my Strats lately and it's useful, easy, and transparent (on a Strat) as it uses the extra tone pot. The blender allow bringing in one end or the other to the tone too.

3. Camritch

Camritch TDPRI Member

Hi, i added the 2nd 3 way as a way of choosing which coils I use from the humbucker, I've used a blend pot in one of my basses, and found that they aren't always easy to wire up and make work. I have a piezo system in the ukulele I built, and found that it works very well, and I planned to use the same product, wire a pot in for volume and then through the MV as a full control. It's a school project, and I saw this as a way of experimenting with a custom schematic now, rather than on one of my other projects

4. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

The body mic will almost certainly need a preamp. I tried this on a guitar using a premade commercial piezo bridge. I could just barely make it work without a preamp by using a much higher ohmage volume pot on the piezo only. You could sort of blend the sounds, but the piezo tone was too thin to be satisfying. If I ever did anything like that again I would get a proper preamp.
    Congrats on figuring out how to draw the wiring on your computer. Looks good, the only thing I see missing is that the third lug on the volume pots should be grounded to the case (you already knew that.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.