School Me... Which Whisky?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 28, 2020.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

real ale is a style. it's lower carbonation than normal.

Boreas and Torren61 like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, but is it any good?

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

That's just a terrific selection of whiskies - I've never seen such a selection. Some of the prices are terrific too!

As a teenager I used to visit Edinburgh a lot. My dad was in a Scottish infantry regiment during WWII and after being badly wounded he was sent to Scotland for over a year to recuperate. His brother also settled in Edinburgh after the war and we'd drive up from Liverpool to see him - we never missed the Military Tatoo. I have fond memories of sitting up on the terraces on the Esplanade with my dad and my uncle watching the event with the pipes wailing and various bottles of whiskey being passed freely along the rows of onlookers for everyone to have a nip!

I haven't been back to "Auld Reekie" since I took my wife there shortly after we were married but it's a terrific city.

Torren61, tweeet and BigDaddyLH like this.
  4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still haven't taken to just sipping on whisky, or scotch for that matter. It's just too harsh to me.

I'm a cocktail guy. Give me an Old Fashioned, Manhattan or a Vieux Carre (sp?)... those are my faves!

Torren61 likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

That is the top shelf in a single glass. :)

Colo Springs E likes this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

Torren61 likes this.
  7. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Jamesons is good. As is Bushmills

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I haven't read much of this thread, but Talisker is my all time favorite single malt Scotch. Bulleit Rye, favorite Rye. Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon. Evan Williams is my preferred cheap bourbon. Dewars and Johnny Walkers are decent blended Scotches.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. KevinB

I don't drink Irish whiskey that much but Redbreast is the favourite of a good friend of mine and I usually buy him a bottle each year for his birthday. He never fails to share it with me! A little sweet for my taste but it's smooth and very nice.

10. KevinB

I remember once reading a book that described Talisker as "rocket fuel in a bottle". If you like a powerful Island whisky but without all the peat smoke of a typical Islay, it's an excellent choice.

Bellacaster and Torren61 like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

One of my old bosses was from Scotland and wiskey was his drink of choice. Typically he would drink Johnnie Walker Black ($50 a bottle) unless it was a special occasion and then he would break out the bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold ($100 a bottle).

So for Christmas one year the office all pitched in to get him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue ($250+ a bottle and the best the Johnnie Walker offered) for a present. It really helped that one of our shop managers had a brother who was a liquor salesman down in Arkansas so we were able to get a bottle of the blue as they were pretty rare. The shop boss goes down and sees his brother, pays for the bottle but there is not a box for it as it has been on display. No problem his brother says, he pulls a JW Red label off the shelf, takes out the bottle, and puts the blue label into the red label box, you know for wrapping and such.

Fast forward to the Christmas party and we give the boss his present. He is gracious and thanks us so much for the gift. The only problem was we did not tell him there was a bottle of blue in that red box, ooops.

It started snowing later that day so the boss sent us all home early to beat the weather. He however was not so lucky and he slid off into a ditch a mile or so from home. This was pre-cell phone days so he just sat in the car on that road until someone came along. It was almost an hour later when one of his neighbors came down the road and gave him a ride. He was telling us this story when we returned after Christmas break. He said he even considered drinking that red label wiskey (even though he hated it with a passion) as he was starting to get cold. The shop boss looked at him funny and said, "you did not open the box did you?". The big boss says, "no, why?".
    The shop boss starts laughing and tells him it was a bottle of blue inside the red box at which point my Scottish boss says. "Aye, dat would've ben gud to no as I wuz freezin me arse off in dat ditch! I could hav ben havin a good time sippin' on dat bottle till help arrived."

He had left that bottle in his car over the entire holiday and only took it out of the backseat before he returned to work lest we be offended that he never opened his gift!

Boreas, Torren61 and DHart like this.
  12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Just out of interest, which part of Scotland was he from?

Torren61 and KevinB like this.
  13. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Before you rule out bourbon in favor of scotch, try a Bulliet or Knob's Creek at a bar. They're pretty nice on the rocks. For Scotch, I like the Laphroaig 10 year, it's got a quite smoky peat flavor, costs ~ $50 but for the occasional sipper will last a while.

None of this stuff will get you away from the sugar though.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

What a great thread, so many opinions and none of them wrong.

A diverse selection of whiskys is crucial to one's quiet enjoyment of life. My shelf currently has bottles of Dalwhinnie 15, Deerhammer Smoked Corn Whisky, Talisker 10, and Knob Creek Rye. Oh and a handle of Dewar's White Label for when I've had 3 glasses of the good stuff already.

I rarely ever buy a second bottle of anything (except the Dewar's), there are too many good whiskys to buy into brand loyalty.

OP, if you're still reading the responses, try a few scotches and find out what flavor profiles you like, then branch out from there. It's a delicious world out there.

Boreas, Vermoulian and Torren61 like this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife's Aunt Trish sent me a card with $160 USD inside! I got it yesterday and promptly bought some gold Grover mini locking tuners for my Greco Tele and a set of four Glencairn Whisky Glasses from the distillery.

511061CD-D2E6-4378-97EC-F9672E942F73_1_105_c.jpeg B42CC8DE-42B7-4DE2-B58B-33E1613D9806_4_5005_c.jpeg

And just like that, my birthday money was gone.

Alex W, Boreas, Wallaby and 2 others like this.
  16. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Holy smokes, I'm drinking gin now!

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Actually he was a fairly accomplished bowyer from Scotland. Here is an excerpt I found on the web about him.

Bows attributed to the renowned George Birnie, a bowyer from Gallashiels in the Scottish Borders. He founded Royal Scots Bows - considered to be the 2nd incarnation of "Border Bows", represented today by "Border Archery". He also worked for and/or founded a number of US bow making companies, namely: Eddings Archery Co., TexTox Bows, Birnie Bows, Adirondack Archery Co., Ben Pearson.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

Nice! The proper way to drink whiskey. And the proper place...

20200114_180920.jpg

Torren61 and KevinB like this.
  19. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That has a distinctive basement look, where is it, does it have a name?

Torren61 and Boreas like this.
  20. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Meister

My basement. The Basement. It is a re-purposed canning bench and sink from the 30s and 40s.

Blue Bill and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.