School Me... Which Whisky?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 28, 2020.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Not scotch though is it? ;)

Blue Bill, Torren61 and KevinB like this.
  2. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

In regard to my post about JAMERSON and how it puts me in the mood to play Motown on bass. Geez you guitar players are a tough crowd.
    Jamerson.jpg
    James Jamerson is the uncredited bass player on thousands of hit songs. He is the driving force behind all those Motown hits
    James Jamerson.jpg

I guess a joke isn't that funny if you have to explain it :confused: I'm playing to the wrong audience here.

tweeet and Torren61 like this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Don't all meds say that? :(

I also have GERD (too many vindaloos in my younger days?), and I have a "medium" case of Barrett's but as long as I take a daily omeprazole I'm fine. I also don't imbibe nearly as much as I used to, but I do enjoy a Friday night after-dinner Scotch with a little water and a habano.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I know who he was. The whiskey is called Jameson, where did you find a bottle of Jamerson? :lol:

Torren61 and AndyPanda like this.
  5. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

:lol:
    I just played around with the Paint program in Windows to make a few letter narrower so there was room to squeeze in the R -- someday I'll have to learn how to use photoshop. The contents of the bottle are the real thing though, and great for practicing guitar too!

notmyusualuserid and Torren61 like this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

And not even from Kentucky. Strike two. :)

notmyusualuserid and Torren61 like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Ron Swanson approved

[​IMG]

kLyon, Obsessed and Torren61 like this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Scotch is good...but bourbon is better and at a more affordable price. Try Wild Turkey 80 proof, then Wild Turkey 101 proof, or Jim Beam Devils Cut (milder than the name would imply). Elijia Craig, Bullett and Bullet Rye, and Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack (not No. 7) are other suggestions. Scotches are a rabbit hole you will pay dearly to go down. They say the good ones all have names impossible to pronounce ......

Wallaby and Torren61 like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think we need a separate thread and Battle Royale to decide this!

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Scotch is not an easy place to start if you have never been a whisky sipper.

Irish in general would be a more gentle introduction. Standard Jameson's or Bush Mill, or even Tullamore Dew. There is more expensive single barrel whisky like Redbreast.

Cognac and Calvados may be a more gentle intro as well. I am sipping Grands Domains VSOP these days and it is nice and smooth. It is $10 per bottle cheaper than Hennessy and lacks nothing.

http://www.grandsdomaines-cognac.co...s the final,carefully selected by its creator.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You mean to see which rabbit hole is deeper?

The Bourbon rabbit hole is pretty deep too, along with the IPA rabbit hole. Maybe they all connect up after a left-turn at Albuquerque:)

It's been hard to stay true to my Rye and Lager-lovin' roots with so many great things to drink available!

Torren61 likes this.
  12. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

This is a worthy point. It would be like starting smoking by huffing 7" Cubans. Certainly a noble effort but might result in an early death.

I started drinking Scotch almost entirely as a pretentious affectation when I was an 18 year old at college. Somewhere along the way I developed a taste for it, and it has been a wonderful companion. I don't drink many single malts any more, at least not the big palette-destroying peat bombs. But I always had a fondness for the Islay whiskies.

nobis17 and Torren61 like this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

have you tried real ale?

Torren61 likes this.
  14. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

IMO, for single malt - the best bang for your buck is 18 year Bowmore. Their younger (and older) ones are good too, but the 18 yr is my go-to scotch.

I haven't found a blended scotch I care for, so I can't comment on that.

For bourbon, I love Wellers when I can find it. But I typically drink Buffalo Trace (same distillery).

edited:

When you decide to take a trip to Edinburgh, right down the street from Edinburgh Castle, there is a "Scotch Experience" place (read tourist trap), but you can sample literally any scotch you can think of there (and then leave without buying the overpriced bottle, and go three blocks in any direction and pay a much more reasonable price) ;)

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was working out of town with a power line contractor in Arkansas and we had to work over the Thanksgiving holiday. I was determined to have turkey so I brought a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed (109 barrel proof). Back at the motel, it didn't take long for everyone to get pretty drunk on what they had brought. I was still hungry though and there was one restaurant open so I went in for a steak. I ordered my filet medium rare and waited. I fell asleep at the table and the waiter woke me when my steak arrived.

I noticed, through my Turkey haze, that they were laughing while I was eating and I figured it was because I was pretty trashed. I got about halfway through my steak and asked for a box to take it with me. The next day, I pulled it out for my lunch and had a closer look at my steak. It was basically cooked three seconds on one side and three seconds on the other side while the middle was still mooing, lol. That was the last time I had Wild Turkey, lol.

LutherBurger likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is gonna be a trick question to which the answer is almost assuredly "no" even though I'm pretty sure I have. I've tried a LOT of different beers and it was kind of a hobby to taste every different one I could find. Name a brew and I'll tell you if I have or haven't tried it. I can't drink carbonated beverages at all now so it isn't going to matter how good it is, I can't have it.

I ended up drinking about this much Balvenie last night.

3EE1CB2D-16F2-44AA-95B7-42842F31478F_1_105_c.jpeg 7F8734BA-6CAE-46C1-89BC-0C1EC577F217_1_105_c.jpeg

I didn't have any issues with acid reflux or upset stomach.

The whole point of the thread was I turned 59 yesterday and I've never tried more than a sip of Scotch (Johnny Walker Red, IIRC) and when I was in the shower yesterday morning, I had Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues" running around my head. "Drink Scotch whisky all night long and die behind the wheel". I only wanted to do half of that but i wanted to spend my B'day money on a good Scotch and not a cheap one. I think I did okay with the help of the advice I got here despite all the non-Scotch suggestions, lol.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think I just found my future whiskey drinking partner.

Vermoulian and Torren61 like this.
  18. PCollen

Don't know the time frame you are discussing, but WT Rare Breed was upped to 112.8 barrel proof (56.4%) in 2015. I didn't get along with it and settled in at WT 101, which allows adding a little ice and still maintaining an above average proof and taste, compared to an 80 proof spirit.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. PCollen

I like the T-D.E.W., and Bush Black.

Torren61 and Wallaby like this.
  20. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

scotch is wonderful because of all the variety...

I wouldn't buy anything older than a 12 year until you know what you like.
    You have the different areas and what their known for. Lowlands, highlands, Islay...
    For instance, Islay is known for the smokey peaty stuff. Wonderful stuff - but it can be heavy or lighter.
    My favorite is Talisker - which is from the island of Skye - not as smokey as an Islay, but goes in that direction - if perhaps a little pepperier...

On a budget, some good ole Johnny Walker Black is a poor man's Talisker (it's a blend, but uses Talisker as a main flavor, as well as Coal Ila)...

but sometimes a a non smokey dram is just the ticket - luckly there is so many to pick from...

kLyon, Torren61 and Wallaby like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.