School me on these Danelectro 59

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mimmo, Dec 12, 2019.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Hi folks,

I have always dug the Danelectro 59 and scored these two different models at 300 euros each. Around here they go for 400-450, so it is a quite good deal.
    Problem is that I am not an expert so can't understand the differences between theses two guys (concentric pots or not, wooden bridge or not etc.).

Are they worth the asking price?
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Copper.png
    Black.png

Chunkocaster and SecretSquirrel like this.
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I don’t know anything about those. Only that they are way cool! Good score Mimmo!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    mimmo likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had one like the second photo, it was MIC in, I think, 2003. My then-girlfriend ended up buying it. Earlier this year she broke up with me and I sure miss that guitar!! :lol:

From what I know, I think 300 euros is a good price. I paid US$300 for mine a few years ago. Someday I'd like to get another one for my very own.

The ones I've tried with the concentric pots, the pots were always broken or messed up. Good concept though, with the right pots.

Chunkocaster and mimmo like this.
  4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys!
    I have sent an email to the shop, will see what's gonna happen ;)

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Danelectros are wonderful!
    Just did a R&R/Blues/Country gig last night and both our bass player and me pulled out our Danos- bass player has original '60's short scale bass, and I have a '56 U2 RI from the late '90's

With those pickups/ nice comfy light body, a clean amp ( and a way to make it dirty!) You can do anything with a Dano!
    Get one!
    DCP_0003.JPG 20190410_084355.jpg

Chunkocaster and mimmo like this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I wonder how the reissues last year compare to the real deal old ones.

mimmo likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The brown one with the rosewood bridge and stacked knobs looks like an original 90s Made in Korea. They are nice guitars, the pickups are mild - fairly genuine to the original Danos.

The black one could be the same fitted with aftermarket bridge, or could be the second gen from Korea which were called 'Pro'. They had the Badass-style bridge Page fitted to his. Plus hotter pickups.

Or it could be the later MIC version which had same/similar features to the MIK Pro.

They've all not bad guitars and it sounds like you paid a reasonable price for them.

All of them have a nice jangle, and the in-between position is serial in-phase which gives a nice kick to the output as well as being hum cancelling.

I think they have alnico bar magnets inside the tubes with windings - the real old ones were really made from 50s lipstick holders!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Chunkocaster, jayyj and mimmo like this.
  8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks Dacious!
    That is what I was looking for: I am not expert enough to understand the differences between the various iterations of the 59s, your post was quite helpful.

9. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange TDPRI Member

For the price, I don’t think you can go wrong.

I picked up a 59 NOS+ a year or so ago. I loved it so much that I bought a single-pickup 1958 Silvertone.

To minimize overlap and justify keeping the reissue, I set it up for slide.

It was fantastic when set up “traditionally” though.

mimmo likes this.
  10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

My wife ran off with my best friend. Dang I miss him! :)

Omiewise65, SecretSquirrel and mimmo like this.
  11. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Don't know about the reissues, but I did get this one back in 1959, also got the Dano Centurion amp and Dano reverb tank at the same time. Added the Bigsby in about 1963. Sold it after I bought a new Jazzmaster after HS graduation in 1965. It was a 1959 Danelectro Double Cutaway Deluxe with three pickups.
    The first pic is from about 1964.

12. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

love me some dano. I always kind of liked the rosewood saddle bridge but they bend if you put thick strings on and aren't easy to get right afa intonnation. Love the pickups and there is nothing better for slide. good score.

mimmo likes this.
  13. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks guy!

The shop ha not replied yet, hopefully tomorrow they will come back with some good news :)

14. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

The brown one is the original Korean reissue. They're great guitars - the only weak spot is the bridge, which was made from softer metal than the original US version and they had a tendency to sink in the middle. There are fixes and replacements, but it's worth checking with the seller what state the bridge is in. I had a 12 string version from this era and used it a lot live, that was a great guitar.

The black one is the Chinese version that came after the Kerean ones - they're easy to spot due to the asymmetric headstock top. I used to sell these by the bucket load. €300 is not out of whack with what people ask for them these days but I remember selling them new for £150-200, so it seems quite a lot to me. Generally the woodwork was good, the pickups inferior to the Korean versions and the fretwork rough. We did a few makeovers - SD lipsticks, a rewire and some intensive fretwork - for customers and turned them into fantastic guitars.

Between the two, the brown one is the one I'd go for.

mimmo and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What they said. The brown one definitely appears to be first RI, MIK. My only question is the pickups. They look like the satin-finished ones, and I don’t remember when those first appeared. My MIK U2 had the shiny chrome finish, and so did my MOD 7. I also agree that the concentric pots are a great idea, but poorly executed. I have played (but not owned) the MIC Danos, and they are very nearly as good as the Korean ones. There’s nothing about them that can’t be tweaked to be as good as any, except the pickups. I don’t like the hotter pickups in the later ones as much. Not a huge deal to replace the pickups, though. There are apparently very original-style pickups available (Nep Tone pickups). As for the bridges, I like the more modern bridge for its strength, and ability to set intonation, but the one on my MOD 7 required careful handling; the quality of the metal was not the greatest, so the screws felt like care needed to be taken when tightening.

mimmo likes this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Great guitars--especially the MIK production stuff.

The bridges tend to cave in, and aftermarket steel bridge plates are available.

If you have trouble with intonation on the G string (very common), there's a simple fix. Get out your Dremel and cut the rosewood bridge saddle's break point back about 3/32". I did this on three of my Danos and they play in tune. Yeah, that's a Gretsch Filtertron in this pic; it's a Dano '59 Shorthorn.

upload_2019-12-12_14-30-13.jpeg

Zepfan and mimmo like this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't prefer one or the other in all the features.

The Chinese one has satin paint and the hardware is also satin. Surprisingly the side tape is of better quality, more like the US Danelectro guitars and not like the early Korean guitars, which just have very plain non-textured white tape. Of course the concentric knobs of the Korean are more versatile and the bridge is more vintage sounding.

But what I really prefer about the Chinese ones is that the body is a little heftier and better built, and the neck is thicker too.

mimmo likes this.
  18. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've got a DC-3, which was made in Korea about 20 years ago. Lots of pickup combinations including all 3 in Series. It has the cheaply made metal bridge, but it hasn't caved in yet. Tuners are quite decent, overall a nice light guitar with a large range of tones.

[​IMG]

A demo video (not me) found on YouTube:

Zepfan, mimmo and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks again for all the detailed information, guys!
    Now the difference between the mik and mic models are clear, I will wait for the shop to answer or otherwise will call them for a precise description of both danos.

Thanks!!

20. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

No answer from the shop yet.
    After two days it is enough for me: It they are not interested in selling, I won't be interested in buying for sure.

Thanks anyway guys for your replies, lots of useful information that I will keep for the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.