1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

school me on the EL rayo humbucker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by micaiah, Aug 27, 2014.

1. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

no if ands or buts i'm getting this and dropping in my tele's neck.

so for my band's style is alt rock like Death cab for cutie, Lovedrug, RadioHead, nirvana-ish how would it hold up.

my rig is a 70's Carvin with EL34's and pedals for drive/delay phase etc.

2. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

Let me know how it goes. I've been interested in this pickup for a while, but I've heard that it's kind of weak and lacking in balls which is the only reason I haven't done it so far. I play blues so I need something bluesy in the neck, let me know if it works well for that when you get it.

3. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

from what i understand its basically a super low wound PAF trying to sound mimic the high end snap and clarity of a single coil. and that is the sole reason i'm getting this because i want a super clear humbucker with a ton less mid hump. and this is it or so i think from what i've heard of clips and talk about it.

4. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

anyone else?:?:

5. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

I have a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in a Fender Marauder. It is the snappiest, least compressed humbucker I've ever played. It does not sound like a single coil though, it sounds like a humbucker. Strings still have great tone with less mids and lows. I am really surprised it hasn't caught on more. Sorry that I can't comment to the El Rayo, but you would probably like the HFH quite a bit. It also gives one the opportunity to actually use the tone knob on the guitar to get brighter/darker sounds.

CHAD

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

From the description, it sounds like it may end up sounding like a Filtertron.

7. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

You will likely find the El Rayo perfect for your needs. The bigger question you should have is if your current bridge pickup will play nice with it...

8. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

well i'm swapping my bridge crematic for a CVC A5 so i think it will

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.