School me on Spray Guns

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by capohk, Jun 1, 2020.

1. capohk

capohk TDPRI Member

I'm looking to progress from rattle cans so that I can mix my own colours and do sunburst. I have a very small shop and so don't have a dedicated space for finishing, but will need to find a way of doing it safely...

I've read a bit so far and determined that a small touch up gun is probably the right thing. I've also read about HVLP and that a dedicated turbine system might be good as they are portable and small. I'd love to hear any advice on what to buy - it would be good to get it right first time.

At the moment, I use nitro finishes, but am looking at varnish finishes for acoustics and am open to success stories with water-based finishes purely from the environmental/health perspective.

TIA

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

The purple guns from Harbor Freight are cheap and seem to get rave reviews. I like mine.

eallen likes this.
  3. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Lad's in Hong Kong. Brands, specs, and the basics might be more helpful to them.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just got started spraying last year, and really like my Earlex HVLP system. If you don't already have a big compressor, and don't otherwise need one (like for a shop full of air tools), then HVLP definitely seems the way to go. Less waste / overspray, nice clean pattern - the paint just lays right down.

The Earlex came with a 1.5mm nozzle. Good for all kinds of stuff, but nitro prefers a 1.0mm nozzle, so I had to buy that separately.

The gun is nice, works well, easy to clean. I haven't used others, so no way to compare.

Spraying can be complicated to get right. I like that the HVLP system took care of equipment issues, so I can focus on learning to paint well, mix colors, etc. It just works.

Rigel7 likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe can buy it locally then?

6. capohk

capohk TDPRI Member

Cheers lads - yup, Hong Kong is 230V too, so specs and basics will be useful.

So far, I need to look for a dedicated HVLP turbine system with a touch-up gun, preferably gravity fed. That Earlex unit looks smart. Is it the 6003?

cup size, nozzle size, maximum pressure all useful info.

Rigel7 likes this.
  7. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

For shooting guitars with a touch up gun, you don't need a large compressor. Also for standard size guns, LVLP is a good option, your don't need a huge CFM compressor. I mention this because spraying sunbursts involves shooting tiny amounts of finish with regulated air flow and fan control. A touch up gun excels there, it's tougher with a big gun on the end of a fat hose. I think you may find a turbine unit a challenge for that application. A turbine system also limits your options for what guns can be added down the line.

I've sprayed furniture for years and have a decent full sized gun. I tried a $27 Asian touch up gun and found nothing but frustration, sputtering and inconsistent flow, which is death when your shooting transtint on a gorgeous piece of wood. I stepped up to a Finex which is the cheapest on reviewed by Gunman and had great results, worth the extra $100 IMO. Evidently the Harbor Freight guns work just fine, I've heard no one complain about them but don't recall any of them being sunbursting shooters.

Edit: Forgot to mention, for sprayed sunburst (as opposed to hand-rubbed), I would definitely stay with nitro because it melts into itself, tiny specs of color will diffuse for a seamless transition in color.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019CJDLK/?tag=tdpri-20

IMG_2915.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

9. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use the purple HF guns and do burst without any big deal. It is all in learning how to control most guns. The HF really isn't any different than other cheap guns. They just happen to be $10 & I can toss them in the can when I get tired of cleaning the and grap a couple more.

I don't know of any cheap guns marked hvlp that actually are. I consider them to just be gravity feed verses siphon. They don't take much of a compressor on a small item like a guitar. Couple hp & 3-6 cfm depending in tank size.

Thanks for sharing your review. Always enjoy seeing actual test from others.

Eric

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.