1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

School Me on Satin Finish

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by black_doug, Apr 20, 2021.

1. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve owned about six acoustic guitars at different times over the years, always with a gloss finish.

As I was browsing today I noticed a Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel Signature model. Everything about the specs has me interested, except for the satin finish.

What’s the pros and cons of a satin finish?

2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

In my experience, pros = $400 - $500 less expensive for otherwise same guitar.

I have two of both. Yes, the gloss is beautiful, but to me I'll almost always take the satin (if available) for cost savings.

black_doug likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It's just a finish option. I personally don't care for but it wouldn't stop me from buying a guitar that I liked.

black_doug likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Advantages for the builder - a satin finish is cheaper to apply, does not require any color sanding or buffing. It does a better job of hiding lesser quality wood. Its most often seen on price point guitars. Sometimes you'll get a shiny top and satin back and sides.

Advantages for buyer/player - costs less. Doesn't show wear and scratches as badly. Doesn't reflect lights on stage. Many folks the feel of satin necks. It is possible to polish a satin finish to more or less "semi gloss". Very few people actually go the other way.

I'm not a fan of satin finishes, the one 314 Taylor that I owned long ago got buffed. On everything I build I either spray gloss lacquer or French polish - I want to show off the woods I use.

StevesBoogie and black_doug like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never heard of an issue with it. Larrivee is certainly experienced in producing them. Their most popular line for years was the 03 series, all satin. I have a 20 year old Martin D16rgt with a gloss top and satin sides and back. No issues at all with the sides and back.

black_doug likes this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The best thing about it is, you save considerable cake, then buff it yourself and make it shine like God intended.

black_doug likes this.
  7. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a Guild 240D with a satin finish and I really like the feel of it. To me it doesn't look cheap just different.

black_doug likes this.
  8. black_doug

Thanks for all the responses.

I have owned a Larrivee C-05, with the florentine cutaway like the TE Sig model, that I wish I still had. It had a L-shape body, with a gloss finish. Been thinking it's time to buy another Larrivee. I play up the neck more now so a cutaway would be nice. And I've always liked the look of a florentine cutaway.

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I had a satin-finish Smith & Young (National) squareneck for a while. Can't say it affected the sound for better or worse. Never got used to the look. Finally got rid of it. Guitars should be shiny.

Attached Files:

black_doug likes this.
  10. black_doug

Yeah, I’ve always felt that way too. Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  11. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I actually Often build guitars with satin finish. I really like satin necks. The problem is they eventually become gloss.

Jakedog and black_doug like this.
  12. black_doug

Satin necks are also a big reason I like Fender electric guitars.

13. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I would try one out before buying online. If you like the feel then great. I personally don't like it but that's just me. Or buy it from GC with their return policy.

black_doug likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t care one way or the other. My Cole Clark has a satin nitro finish and it feels great. Doesn’t look fancy, which is fine by me. I’m hoping that between not looking expensive, and being a brand almost nobody around here has ever heard of, it might help keep it from being stolen as easily.

black_doug likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.