1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

School me on Pyramid strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BFcaster, Jan 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Ok, last year feeling experimental I invested in some Pyramids, specifically the "Jimi Hendrix Inspired Set"- 10, 13, 15w, 26, 32, 38. Nickel Classics, quote "round steel core for unsurpassed sustain & tone quality".
    I tried them on my Les Paul and couldn't get them back off fast enough. Seemed way too bright, maybe just too new, I dunno, but after a week that experiment was over and instead of my usual Ernie Ball 11-48's I went to D'Addario EXL116 11-52. I can deal with the thicker low strings, so that's okay.

What to do with my two remaining packs of Pyramids?
    Well, my ash Tele with Seth Lover in the neck and SD Broadcaster in the bridge was in serious need of new strings, so why not? I had been using the same Ernie Ball set of strings, only without the 6th string (it is a Micawbre clone after all). To be similar to that set, on the Pyramids I left off the 10, and moved everything up, if you catch my meaning. That way the fifth string using Pyramids is the same 38 as my usual Ernie Ball.

So far not too keen on a wound third string. Seems a little too quiet. Not totally unexpected.
    Did a little pickup height adjustment and pole piece height on the Seth, and tweaked my amp's EQ and it seems not too bad.

Okay, but what I really want to know is- unplugged, just strumming this guitar, these Pyramids sound the same as any other strings on my other guitars unplugged.
    What is it about these strings that make them different through an amp, but not different unplugged?

Or, is this just all in my head??

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

"10, 13, 15w, 26, 32, 38"

15 wound? Really?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

Perhaps it an electromagnetic thing - not as much ferris material in the strings.

driver8 likes this.
  4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love Pyramid pure nickel strings, and use them on all my electric guitars becuase, to my ears, they have a richer sound with more harmonic content than, say, D'Addario xls. They are a bit bendier (at the same gauges) as nickel-steel or steel strings, they've got more low and hi mid content than nickel steel strings, they last a fair bit longer than most other strings. I'm not trying to sell you on them, but if, for instance, you like the sound of a particular guitar with D'Addario XL strings and then switch to Pyramid pure nickels of the same gauges, you'll want to revise your amp and guitar settings - maybe including pickup heights beneath the strings, to optimize them - they won't sound or respond the same as the D'Addarios.

5. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

I know- no mention on the strings' packaging, and I even just now re-checked on the Strings By Mail website, but there is no mention of a wound 15. And yet...the set I just put on my Micawbre is wound.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

I like them on my LP and P bass!

7. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

That is all exactly what I did for a week on my LP, but in the end this set was not my LP.
    To be fair, every guitar has its own characteristics, some generally related to the make/model, some more fine-tuned to the particular wood, saddle and nut material, etc. My LP is not particularly dark.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. strat a various

Never seen a wound .015.

9. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Me either!

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

woops...
    yeah, there isn't a 15 wound...
    I forgot, as I mentioned, I moved everything up a string.
    ANYWAY...
    so it's an electrified/magnetic field that gives the strings its true character??

11. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Pyramids are my favourite strings ... I use them on both electrics and acoustics.
    Compared with other strings I find they have a bell-like sound that I like. (Maybe someone else would call harmonic richness.)
    I sometimes try another brand, but so far, always end up back with Pyramids.
    May be the alloy mix they use. The strings will turn your finger contact points black (washes off) .... probably due to some silver in the alloy.
    After several weeks they settle in to sound like a new set of other strings.
    There's a knob on the guitar labelled "T" or "Tone" that may help with this issue.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

i tried a set.. i like them. I think the pure nickel has a bit more warmth in the tone, but it's subtle for sure. Cant recall how long they lasted. I think i have another pack somewhere, maybe i'll throw em on next and report back.

13. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Bought these and never looked back 20210115_213736~2.jpg

14. strat a various

Nickel turns black

crazydave911 and kbold like this.
  15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Well Pyramids are recommended by Rickenbacker and to me that speaks volumes. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Ricky or Gibson, I in fact love some things (short scale 325s :)) but other things and a person (John Hall) I can't stand. The 330 and 360 12 string for one. Heck that neck isn't wide enough for 6 much less 12 :eek:. Now the original Toaster pickups I love, the hotter replacement blows chunks. And the 21.5" scale 325 actually has a WIDER neck? :mad: They did in fact build a splendid 12 then didn't produce it :oops:,oey very

mpjwxjlm6fxm11epbcgv.jpg
    ehd4leln39kvcqlqpacp.jpg
    oeuuc4br2qcf4t8fmxv7.jpg

The prototype (there's disagreement about how many made) is kinda famous, many people (me for one) wanted it bad but as with Rickys everywhere WAY outta my league.it recently sold AGAIN on Reverb for over 13k. But a 12 string bassed on a Bass body with all that walnut? What's NOT to love :lol:.
    My long winded point being, everyone I know that's used Pyramids has had to do everything known to man to make them sound right, one guy changed the tone pot and capacitor :eek:. It's just strings, it shouldn't be that hard. A Ricky is similar, a lot of work to make them playable by somebody not named Roger Mcguinn lol. Off my soapbox, some are true believers and you can't sway them regardless

Dave

16. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Like Amway?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

I flirted with them a bit, along with Curt Mangan and another "high-end" brand of strings that I can't remember, and finally came to the conclusion that strings are expendable.

I do like them, no doubt. Using them helped me finally understand what I like about strings - round core, nickel plated windings. Pure nickel wraps were fun but eventually became irritating. Cool sound for a while, though!

I also think they're high quality, very nice strings, good feel, and a cut above, but that costs.

GHS Boomers get me there and at lower cost, in the end, purchasing 10-packs. They last me about a month if I don't stress them out doing work on the guitar they're installed on.

18. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like Pyramids. With the brightness there is also a fullness present. You can always roll treble off with your tone knob. You cannot roll treble on if it's not there.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I gotta try em’!

SacDAve likes this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

A few things...

- The reason they’re so expensive in the US is import, not boutiquey reasons (though they are very good strings). They’re the same cost as d’addarios over here in the EU (about 13-14 euros, so a little more than cheap, but not crazy, still under 20 USD). Similar with thomastik.

- I’ve only tried the flatwounds. Seeing as they are nickel instead of steel wrap, they just sound “right.” I was buying them and thomastiks in the US because d’addario chromes just don’t as sound as proper to me.

- In roundwound land, I’m not sure there’s a big difference between other nickel wrap strings that are more affordable outside of the EU. I don’t think it justifies the import cost. I would think most of the hype and reputation comes from the flats, those are their classic string (Beatles, jazzers, etc.).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.