School Me On Necks

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Steve 78, Jul 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I like chunky necks. I tend to get carried away in this respect. The biggest necks on guitars I've owned was on a Nocaster and one on an R7 LP. They felt nice to hold but I'd always suffer fatigue in the long run.
    So now I have a tele that is only slightly chunky. I haven't measured it but it feels like about a .900 at the first fret to about .950 at the 12th. It seems to be about the right compromise for me. I wouldn't want anything skinnier. I like 6105 frets. I once had a guitar that had stainless steel and I loved them but the neck was too skinny so I sold it. I'd love to get stainless steel on my current guitar but its new and plays fine the way it is so I'm not going to mess with it.
    I prefer a neck thats almost down to the wood. Has the best feel. U shape is my preference.

Steve 78 likes this.
  2. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

There is no substitute for actually playing different necks and deciding what feels best to you and inspires you to play longer. I find I like compound radius necks and a tall fret size with a medium width neck not fat but not skinny.

Steve 78 and oregomike like this.
  3. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

When I picked up my first good guitar, I was still very much a noob and had no clue what worked well for my hands and playing style (basically, strumming). I liked the guitar, strummed a few chords "sounds great, I'll take it." I enjoyed it for years until I started playing more finger-style. I enjoyed the wider nuts of my acoustics (Collings OM1AT and Santa Cruz 1929-00) Now, it's hard for me to go back to anything narrower than 1-3/4. My custom neck is 10-16" and I love it. Was tempted to go flatter, but no idea if that would have been the right thing to do and didn't have a bunch of different radii at my disposal to try out. Anyway, where was I going with this....? This is the only pic of my neck before full assembly.
    IMG_20190621_154750.jpg

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Nicks? Necks? Nicks? Well, Nicks used to have a neck.

Bob

5. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

This is a cool thread - everyone has strong opinions that are so different!

I'm not so sure about the materials vs. the ergonomic had tool aspect

(- and there's a world of difference between strumming in a store and playing a whole set - it's like buying a chair - sitting on it 5 minutes won't tell you much.)

SUre, every little thing adds up, but -
    It's more about what's right for YOU than a guaranteed objective truth.

I think I like different necks depending on what I'm playing - if I'm barring chords with the thumb and forefinger ala Keef and Jimi , a U shaped 7 1/4 makes that so much easier. (So many times a guitar isn't SET UP right hanging on the wall at the guitar barn, and that can turn one off almost any type of neck.)

If I have to do gymnastics, Parker had maybe the neck that just took itself out of your way completely. I don't love the sound of the stainless steel frets though. That's usually an insanely ( post Karl Hyde/ Reeves Gabrels) effected situation, so I doubt anyone knows but me.

I meet alot of young people who took classical guitar in school and are used to that 2" at the nut fretboard, and wider is better for their technique.

I want a narrow at the nut, 43mm max, thick neck most of the time. The neck I hate the most is the 9.5 modern C.

I had a friend into MOsrites, and It was a cramp-o-matic if you weren't used to it. Thinner than a Ric
    even.

For what it's worth, when I was coming up as a builder, the pendulum was shifting towards sustain being the key to good tone, ( so everyone thought a thick neck ALWAYS sounded better) as opposed to 'non interference with string vibration' - this is a subset of the INFINITE argument of musical coloration vs. High fidelity.

Ironically many inventions and improvements made in the name of Fidelity are now revered for their coloration. It's interesting to read interviews with Leo and hear how modern his ideas were - there was no Vintage Fender to be in awe of yet, and he had strong opinions on taking the wood out of the picture and just getting the string sound.

If you want to get a little deeper into the pudding, Dan Erelewine's 'How to make your electric guitar sound great' has a wealth of info on necks and their issues.

Thanks everyone for this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.