School me on Gibson humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Wallaby, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I have TTop PAFs in my Melody Maker. They came with the guitar when I bought it in ‘72. They have more bark and bite than the Throbak TTops in my 2018 SG.
    The PAFs in my sadly gone ‘62 ES335 were amazingly great.
    I sold my last 335 due to terrible sounding factory buckers. Had ai known then what I know now, I would have put different pickups in and kept it, possibly Lollars, Duncan Antiquities,or Harmonic Design.

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for contributing JL.

I've mentioned this multiple times earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating - I don't intend to replace the pickups. I've also given appreciation for previous advice to try the pickups that are in there before making changes.

GGardner likes this.
  3. Wallaby

This makes it make sense, thank you!

4. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

My Ibanez AS73 with Classic 57/Classic 57+ pickups. Great combination. I think you will like your ES339 with those.

My Ibanez AS73 with 57 Classic.jpg

5. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Ha! I'm guilty of that too--I assumed you were seeking suggestions for a swap. Sorry.

Wallaby and JL_LI like this.
  6. Wallaby

Me too!

I think it's a reasonable assumption to make given the subject of the thread, that I wanted to swap pickups. I just didn't want my intention misunderstood, I hope I wasn't rude.

Instead I really wanted to pick the brains and learn from people who know Gibson humbuckers, including how to adjust them for superior tone. But it's rude to say "give me all your knowledge" and also "how high should these pickups be" won't fly, so I thought if I was willing to do some work and actually learn about them it would be more acceptable and more communal. Maybe the discussion will help someone else later.

I'm stretching - it's not that well thought out - but the elements are there.

I'm not just learning specs and facts, I'm learning what experienced humbucker and Gibson people listen for, appreciate, and value. It's a crash course in the subject. I have knowledge I didn't have 24 hours ago on the subject, and I won't be thrashing in the dark when I finally do get to use the guitar.

It's quite awesome.

GGardner likes this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Ok, now that we got that cleared up--Bare Knuckle Mules! I can't justify buying them but I'll live vicariously through you.

8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I've always liked the sound of humbucking pickups :).

For me, it started in the '60s when Gibson guitars had the old-fashioned PAF's.

It was the sound I grew up with.

Some of the modern Gibson pickups sound pretty good. I've owned or played guitars with Burstbuckers, MHS, '57s, the endless variety of boutique offerings, etc. etc. etc..

And then you have all the over-wound versions that don't sound like PAF's.

After going through all of that, a couple of sets of pickups stand out - an old set of Jim Wagners GoodWoods (a lower wind version of his current GodWoods) I have in my old R9, and a set of Duncan/Lover SH55's that I have in a custom build.

I've never owned a humbucker equipped Gibson that sounded bad, but for the money (especially if it's my money ;)), I'll go with the Duncan/Lover SH55's for old-time PAF type tone, if that's what you're looking for.

You've got Seth Lover with his own original recipe teamed up with Seymour Duncan's modern factory, and if ya look around you can buy a new set with solid nickle-silver covers for about $165 bucks.

g

Mincer likes this.
  9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I find Burstbucker 2/1 a bit fizzy, I changed them out of my LP traditional. I like those new '61 whatever they are called things though, I have those in a 2019 LP classic. They are little sweeter sounding, I think than the BB's.

the chasing oscar page on the doug and pat show, has the best gibson pickup comparison clips.

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have come to realize that there is really no "bad pickup" provided they are all constructed with similar specs, materials, and craftsmanship. The real chore is to find the right pickup marriage for the right guitars. I have had many pickups that sounded so so in one guitar but fabulous in another. I have never wasted my money on any pickup choice I have made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.