School me on capos...what do you like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

One more vote for Shubb. Use them for decades on acoustic, recently found a model that's made for electrics (edit: model C1K noir, not labeled as for electrics), a little lighter weight and the the perfect radius for my main electrics. The important thing is to place them right up against the back side of the fret and only use enough pressure to get it to play clean so as not to alter the pitch. I find the spring ones harder to use without distorting the pitch.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: It coverts. That picture is for a dropped tuning. :lol:

3. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

Shubb for the Tele, Elliot for D-28. The Elliot was very expensive but I figured I’ll never have to buy another one, it works well, and it’s a work of art.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Use to use elastic bands back in the day.
    now I have The Daddario/Planet wave one for acoustics
    and a G7th for electrics

I have some chubbs but planet waves
    change out quicker live.
    imho

5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

This is the kind I like. Can you still get them? I'd order half a dozen.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

From Chinese sellers on eBay and Dunlop still sells them under their brand name.

7. strat a various

How cool is that? I'm gonna look for some Dunlops.

8. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Kyser. Cheap, easy to use. No pitch issues whatsoever even tho jumbo frets/light gauge strings. Takes :05 to understand how to use.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I use Shubb's on my acoustic guitars and a Paige on my mandolin. I don't normally use them on electrics, but I keep one in my case. It looks like an alligator. I bought it totally for that reason. And I also bought a fancy Thalia one with some turquoise for my blue Rickenbacker 12 string. A little bling never hurt anyone.

For the record, I HATE Kyser's. I have a ding on the back of the neck on my acoustic from when I tried one.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

whichever one I can find... I usually buy the kyser knockoffs from the folks who built the great wall... I get wild colors thinking I'll be able to find them.. unlike tribbles, they do not appear everywhere within a month they have fallen in love with a sock in my collection and both capo and one sock, leave, never to be found again.

Flakey likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have a Jim Dunlop USA that I bought years ago. There are no tuning issues if the capo is carefully placed. That means centered over the neck pressing on but not pulling the strings. The grips fit my hand and are located under the neck. It works on 9 1/2 and 12” radius fretboards and in my acoustic which is 14 or 15” and has never damaged a guitar. At least for me, there’s no need to look further.

Keefsdad likes this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Off mostly. Pitch that is.

Reminds me of peers with damaged hearing - no pitch issues! <g>

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Shubb.

It’s a mechanical locking lever and you can adjust the tension.

Unlike every capo with a spring, a Shubb is not going to loose tension or wear out with time. The Shubb is a better design than anything with a spring.

[​IMG]

I know during a gig that when I snap this on the tension is going to always be exactly the same. I use it on three songs but it’s always perfect.

14. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Those are a real pain for me, getting on & off. I have one that hasn't seen the light of day for years.

I had to check the brand on mine, both Kysers. One black and one gold to match the hardware. :p

15. strat a various

Meh, I like the elastic ones ... it's what I'm used too.

verb boten likes this.
  16. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

Id all but given up on capos. The tuning & intonation issues never seemed worth it (i only play electric). I was given a g7 and have found it very good. It doesn't grip quite so tightly and so reduces the problems to a usually unnoticeable level. I get the best results when I carefully place the capo near the the fret wire, running as close to parallel as possible.

I liked it so much I decided to use it on a tune in our set. rehearsed with it on the third fret so I could play a song (country road) in A using cowboy chord G shapes.

Then at the gig I forgot to put it on and stared playing in G while the rest of the band blasted away in A. So then I put the capo on in such a hurry it caused all the usual problems.. But I suppose I cant blame the capo for my own idiocy...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I have an adjustable Shubb and an old Dunlop clamp type. i like the Dunlop better. It's quicker to take on and off, and works just as well although it's not adjustable.

18. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I don't get it. Do you tune to Eb? Otherwise, playing in G position above a capo at the 3rd fret would give you Bb, not A. So when you started playing in G position with no capo, it came out in F#?

19. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

D'Addario Planet Waves for all criteria listed.

Bill likes this.
  20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Works perfect for 12-14-16 radius necks. oh yeah, I think I have used them maybe 12 times in the last four years since purchased.
    I have always viewed these things as substitute for ukuleles - I have very little use for them.

Now let's talk pitch, I bend, wiggle and dive a lot. I also press very hard on mega fret wire, if I was pitch sensitive I'd buy an electronic piano.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.