School me on capos...what do you like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The Kyser is my best working trouble free capo. I have two Shubbs, but it seems there's always one string not fretting well and buzzing, usually the low E. I end up messing around. I truly wish my Shubbs worked better as they are small and dont interfere with my hand on some of my oddball cowboy chord fingering. The Kyser clamps on hard and every string rings true first try.
    Kyser:
    https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-KEY-SKG6BK-LIST

2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never use capos with electrics, or pretty damn close to never. But I use 'em a LOT with my acoustic. The best I've found is the G7th Heritage yoke style capo.

[​IMG]Heritage by Ray, on Flickr

Requires the least retuning of any capo I've ever tried and affects the guitars sound the least as well. Expensive, but after I'd tried every OTHER capo, it didn't seem so bad. If I'd bought this first, I'd have saved money. Also adapts to nearly any radius automatically, so if you're gonna be using it with a lot of guitars, it'll work. I'm not sure how well it'll handle 7.25, but I've used it on everything from 10-16 inches...

The best bang for the buck and the best budget capo are both the venerable Shubb that others have mentioned. To me, the best kind of capo is one where you adjust tension with some kind of bolt that you can fine tune. I don't like big honkin' springs like in the Kyser or Thalia - if you want less tension you're out of luck. And I don't like the kind you squeeze against a ratchet (G7th Performance series) because I just can't get the same pressure two times in a row.

Both the G7th Heritage and the Shubb use a bolt to adjust tension. So do some others, like the G7th Newport and several cheaper ones, but I just don't think anyone does it in a side-clamping capo any better than Shubb.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I use a daddario ns pro or a cheap generic Kyser clone trigger lever style capo.

The ns pro looks cooler but is a bit annoying having to screw it on.
    The cheap generic capo works fine and is fast n easy to apply.

I don't see much sense in buying fancy or expensive capo's other than as a luxury item. The cheap ones work as expected for me.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm partial to this one. ;)
    [​IMG]

RoyBGood likes this.
  5. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not really adding anything scintillating to the thread, but have found that I like different capos for different instruments. Tried many brands over the years.

GUITARS
    • 1968 Standel AKA Harptone Mini Jumbo; this guitar is 1.8" at the nut; a Shubb 12-string capo works best
    • 2005 Simon & Patrick Woodland Parlor; Kyser quick change
    • 2008 Breedlove D25/SM Dread; G7th Nashville
    • 2009 Wechter Travel Guitar; Paige spring capo - takes up less room on a tiny fretboard
    • 2015 Gretsch G5620T-CB Thinline Electromatic; Kyser quick change
    • 2017 Taylor 150e 12-string Dreadnaught; Shubb 12-string capo
    OTHER
    • 2016 Gretsch G9450 Dixie 5-String Banjo; Shubb banjo capo
    • 2008 Giannini Cavaquinho; Shubb banjo capo; am sure somebody makes a capo specifically for cavaquinho but the Shubb works fine

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Shubb. I got a Thalia for a very special guitar and am sorry to say that I don't just not like it -- I really dis-like it. Even with the varied jaw inserts, it has a too-strong spring, is awkward, and does not really sit nicely on the strings. Very, very disappointing. The others I've used range from poor to pretty good, but the Shubb is the one that givens the right pressure, fits, and installs on the strings really nicely. Different hands like different capos, but the Shubb is it for me. Glad to see so much agreement.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like the Shubb.

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Still love my Shubb, but I'm looking hard at one of those original Paige capos for my acoustic. Sweetwater stocks them. i like the design and the price. Going on the wish list.

bcorig likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I got a black G7th and am continually pleasantly surprised how well it works. No issues at all. And nice design. Small, elegant, easy to operate.

10. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Shubb. Compact, simple, secure, adjustable.
    http://www.shubb.com/m/products/original_m.html

11. bcorig

Shubb. There is no substitute.

rogb likes this.
  12. bcorig

“I don't want my guitar to look like a building under construction“. I can’t stop laughing!!!

13. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Capos.JPG

2 - Kysers [1 regular / 1 hacked]
    2 - Planet Waves [1 regular / 1 hacked]
    3 - Shubbs [1 regular / 1 partial / 1 hacked]

I use them primarily on my acoustic but, since my electric is strung 11-52, I don't have much problem with any of them on it either guitar. The "hacked" capos are for what I call a "modified DADGAD" where I'm tuned to D standard then drop the low string to C [Drop C] and then capo the four bass strings at the second fret thus achieving DADGAD. When I used to tune to E standard this tuning would be E-B-E-A-B-E. I learned this tuning from an Acoustic Guitar interview with Janis Ian back around '94 or so. She would achieve this tuning using a regular Kyser capo only on the 4 bass strings but I found it pulled too hard causing the strings to bend slightly so I started cutting them down and have been using the Shubb since '97. The Shubb partial capo achieves the same tuning when used on the 3rd, 4th & 5th strings but I've become so accustomed to barring chords in the drop tuning way that it's pretty much 2nd nature at this point. What's great about doing this is how it changes the sound of the chords but, outside of the lowest string, the note positions don't change. Anyway, it works for me . . . :D

FWIW - I was given a G7th capo, which I found to be very well made. I would have kept it except for the design of the lower "claw" [not sure what it's called]. The way it extends at the tip would cut into the flesh between my thumb & forefinger. If it didn't look so nice I probably would have cut it down but, instead, I gave it to someone else.

14. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

G7, Only problem is not losing ‘em!

15. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

INB4 someone asserts that capos are cheating.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

...and I like dis one:

love.jpg

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

What? Nobody uses one of these old fashioned elastic band capos?

elastic_capo.jpg

Confession: I use one sometimes when I play my classical guitar.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

In the sense that a capo must stop the strings at a fret, and only shift the pitch in precise half steps, a Keyser doesn't qualify as a capo, since it will pull the strings sharp a good 10 cents or more. I still cringe when I see a Kyser.

upload_2019-7-11_6-32-13.jpeg

El Tele Lobo and DNestler like this.
  19. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Looks like a partial capo to me. ;)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Easy on easy off IMG_20190711_094443.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.