School me on capos...what do you like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I usually use a Shubb with electrics and a Kyser with acoustics. No issues with either. I will say that some years ago the spring on an old Kyser broke. I emailed the company about buying a new spring and they sent me a new capo. Great customer service.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I liked the old, original Victors the best. The NS Pro is decent.

Many people diss the Kyser, but I find it depends on the kyser, and the guitar. A new Kyser coupled with large frets and/or light strings is a terrible experience. I have one I’ve had since the 90’s. Once the spring breaks in good and loosens up a little they’re great. It’s still too clampy to use with an electric guitar. But I’ve used it on acoustics for many years now with no re-tuning needed.

For my electrics I like the NS Pro, Shubb, or Victor.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have two of these. Maybe $25 total investment. They work great for as much as I use them.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

That's the one I've had for years!

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  5. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I have an Elliott for my SCGC dread. Best capo I have ever used. I don't mind the time on stage it takes to attach it. Let's the other guys tune, tell a joke, etc.
    I have lots of Shubbs, they're great, but not as sonically transparent as the Elliott. Word to the wise: get the right radius for your fretboard.
    I've got a couple G7s as well. I like them as much as the Shubbs.
    I avoid spring loaded capos like the plague. You can't adjust the tension in the grip, and sometimes they'll take an instrument out of tune.

Daniel

6. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

While I'm not knocking your choice of capo, I cannot understand where your coming from when you say capos such as the Kyser type are no good. I've been using Kyser capos for the last 25-30 years and never had any of the tuning issues you mention.

djh22 likes this.
  7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I use a capo a lot for live performances and I bounce between the Planet Waves pictured above and the Shubb.

I will say that I saw Doc Watson using a Shubb.

JJ Cale also...

And, that could/should be good enough for me (or anyone).

8. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

No coil or leaf springs; they throw strings out of whack and on some necks have far too much tension. I have two Shubbs...one for the work bench, and another for playing out.
    I find tuners/capos clipped to the headstock about as visually appealing as people who wear baseball caps backwards.

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Shubb. Had one for nearly 25 years. Great design and small. The very first capo I got came with a guitar magazine and was held on by an elastic strap!

Since then I got given a 60s Hamilton capo that mainly gets used for my acoustics.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I have used Kyser capos on my Martin and electrics since they came out ( before that, the Shubbs, and elastics before those!)
    I did get a new Bliueridge acoustic last year and this guitar gets the lightweight ( and no spring/no pressure)
    Planet Waves NS Capo, as I don't want to marr the finish on the back of the neck from spring pressure/rubber pad of a Kyser.
    This NS Capo ( IMO) has the quality and intonation of the more expensive Page or Elliot capos, and is very low profile-not much there to get in the way of my left hand

11. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

I've been using Kysers for ages. Every ten years or so they break and I have to get a new one. I also had an old pre-Dunlop Victor that I really liked, but it was impossible to deploy quickly.

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I put the Kyser directly on the fret. I sometimes have less than two measures before I’m up, so, I clamp directly on the fret. Careful to not go over the edge of the fret or it mutes open positions.

13. navigate40

navigate40 TDPRI Member

Tried a few settled on the D'Addario Planet waves (someone mentioned above). I like that it is all metal, adjustable, thin and light. Very easy to use.

The simpler spring ones seem to exert too much tension and can more easily sharpen the strings. This model lets you adjust the tension. There are a couple other's that allow you to adjust tension, Shubb, perhaps. But, the D'Addario Planet waves in just a much sleeker, smaller, lighter unit. I really like it, it works perfectly for me. Both acoustic and electric. Seems to exert very even pressure across all strings, all intonate perfectly. Took my playing/singing to another level.

Curious about the G7th, but not at that price. The G7th seems to work on a ratchet or similar system, whereas the D Planet Waves is fine adjustment.

Best I've tried. Best band for the buck. Best budget.

I could have loaned you one. I have two. About $13 off amazon, I think.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Like a lot of people here I'm a Shubb fan. I have a Kyser as well, but it doesn't get used much. I don't like to use any capo a lot but if I'm singing, well, nobody writes songs in my range anymore. Just some of the cowboy bad guy types, so I have to depending on the music I've got.

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like the Planet Waves NS ones. The Tri-Action capo seems to have a right-side up and upside-down version. So check which you want.

I like small capos because I don’t like capos. I don’t want to feel them.

So the plastic and the metal versions without the spring are my favourites.

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Best - Shubb, hands down. After 40 years of guitar playing, it's the best I've ever used.

Don't use - Keyser. The spring is too strong and bends the strings out of tune.

17. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I have a D'Addario Planet Waves NS Capo Lite - $10.

I don't use a capo that much, and this one was inexpensive and worked well for my needs.

If I played out and needed a quick switch model, well, who knows. It is only a few turns to get it in place, and it work well on my 9.5" and 12" radius Fenders.

18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

The Tri-action Planet Waves is like a more adjustable Kyser. If you like a really quick change and don't mind the bulk, it might be for you.
    The Planet Waves NS Pro is very light and unobtrusive, which doesn't put the guitar out of tune but I'm sure I'll leave on top of some backline amp, pretty soon. It's black, which was an avoidable mistake.

I have a big old Dunlop trigger capo, which is wide enough and strong enough to handle my Reso with huge strings and a tree trunk neck.

For general, long term use and abuse, I can recommend my old Shubb. If you can find one that suits the dimensions of your instrument's neck and fretboard, you'll be buying spare parts for it, one day. I like that durability.

The only other model I've used over an extended period is the Kyser, which is tough but bulky- and doesn't suit all styles, necks and setups. (perfectly reasonable on a standard tuned Baja with 52-11s but hopeless on a slide specific Gibson, with a high action and 54-12s). I don't take it out much, nowadays: who wants to carry two capos to a gig?

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Tried others but this is what I have in my cases. Works with everything, simple, durable. Do yourself a favor and try one.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

You do, you just don't know it. The tension pulls the strings sharp. Check it with a good tuner - not a tuner that rounds everything to within +/- 10 cents <g>

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.