School me on capos...what do you like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Curious about trying a new capo eventually. Would love to hear of your experiences and opinions.

• Best capo you've tried/used
    • Best bang-for-your-buck capo you've tried and used
    • Best budget option capo you've tried/used
    Looking for feedback from both acoustic and electric players. I currently use an older Shubb capo (before they added the little roller wheel).

Eyeing a few by G7th, Shubb (newer models) and a few others. I've tried the Thalia capos, but found them to be heavy, a bit over-engineered and a bit too high-toned/fancy for a toss-in-the-case accessory. Willing to have someone try to change my mind though.

bcorig likes this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Center pull is best for least retuning needed - you do realize you will have to retune some or all strings with a capo? Second choice is a Shubb or Victor type, with adjustable tension. A capo only qualifies if it has adjustable tension. Springy clampy Kyser types with no adjustment are verboten - can't be used without spending 5 minutes retuning, only to have to retune again when its removed - which forces folks to not retune, and destroys all pitch and intonation for everybody else.

PS - sorry, while in lecture mode, forgot to actually answer your question,

Favorite is a Paige type
    Best value is a Paige type
    Best budge is a Paige type

But I have more Shubbs, just by happenstance. The Paige types have the added benefit they store over the nut till you need it, and can stay there in the case too.

Danjabellza likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I went through several before landing on the Shubb. I don't think there is a "best" when it comes to capos as everyone has different needs. Some want a quick removal and some don't, some want metal and some wood, etc.

As long as the tension can be adjusted and it fits the neck width, it will work fine.

jrblue and Deathray like this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Shubb. I've tried others and tossed or given them away.

Slip Kid, brbadg, bcorig and 5 others like this.
  5. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using the Shubb for the last couple of decades. I don’t even remember what I used before that. The only down side to the Shubb is that you can’t clip it to the headstock when you’re not using it.

jrblue likes this.
  6. Blues63

Blues63 TDPRI Member

I use a Shubb with a 7.25" radius for my AVRI's.

studio1087 likes this.
  7. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Elliott, Paige, and Shubb are all good. Anything where you can adjust for neck depth.

I am not a performer otherwise I could see why the spring loaded ones would be useful.

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I had never heard of a thalia until just now. After googling, I see no reason to bother. At all.

Favorite- (prepare for flames...) Dunlop trigger style. Easiest in 3 piece band where I only need to be in tune with bass player, or 2 piece guitar and drums getup.
    Best bang for buck (function to cost) I prefer the shubb style ones over other adjustable tension ones.
    Best budget- see first answer. You're spending over $15 or you're not.

I hate the elastic kind. And I prefer dunlop style over kyser any day. Why? I've owned like 2 kyser 2 dunlop. Broke a kyser one. Borrowed a kyser one, it broke. Bought the person a dunlop one. They have a dunlop one, I have 2 Dunlop and 1 kyser.

I'm typically more worried about other things than how pretty a capo looks, which is probably why I never heard of thalia. Black or copper color dunlop looks fine, silver or black shubb should be functionally fine. I've never used a paige in a setting in front of people except for the owner of the capo, so cant honestly put much for or against them. If I were gigging, I'd run around with a dunlop in each case and a shubb in my cable/pedal bag.

9. Soof

Soof TDPRI Member

I really like the Planet Waves/D'Addario NS Tri-Action Capo.. Around $14. Simple and effective to use. Easy to move when playing and keeps it's tune. I have other capos, including Thalia, but I always reach for this baby first. Daddario NS Capo.jpg
    [​IMG]

10. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not a heavy user of capoes, but I have used my Dunlop Classic on everything without an issue for over 10 years now.

Maybe since I play blues, I'm not so anal about retuning?:D

ReverendRevolver and Flat6Driver like this.
  12. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

I've had the same Kyser gold capo for over a decade I got from my uncle for a birthday way back when. As far as durability goes I'd give it a military-grade stamp of approval-weird to hear about them breaking. A quick look shows that Kyser still make them the exact same, except now they paint the logo on rather than stamp it into the metal-maybe the quality has gone down and one day mine will be a vintage collectible lmao.

djh22 likes this.
  13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Been playing a Shubb for years - I like capos that can be adjusted. Also the size is proper, I don't want my guitar to look like a building under construction.
    Capos with spring tension don't work for me, the pressure is either to high or to low and demands retuning.

bcorig likes this.
  14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Shubb for me.

studio1087 and bcorig like this.
  15. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Shubb. Almost never use it, lives in my gig bag, but last night I grabbed an acoustic at open mic and I was glad I had my Shubb with me instead of the contraptions that others were using, demanding retuning before during and after!

studio1087 and bcorig like this.
  16. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Shubb only. Perfect design for me, and they're cheap enough that there's no point in using anything worse.

I haven't tried the roller type yet...because I've had the same two for so long (at least 20 years, I think), and nothing has ever gone even slightly wrong with them.

18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I use a Dunlop Victor made of solid Brass

I only use it on two songs in my acoustic duo but is small, sturdy and works fine

[​IMG]

P Thought likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I use a D'Addario Planet Waves NS Pro. I particularly like it for capoing for slide playing since it's small.

[​IMG]

Jimmy Owen, Flakey, matrix and 3 others like this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Fender smart capo, I've used one for a few years now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.