School me on alternatives to fender and gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJ Ray, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

For electric? Godin's a great one that no one's mentioned. And glad folks above mentioned Heritage and G&L.

And someone beat me to Reverend. They have a great vibe and selection. Wouldn't've thought of Mosrite, but they're cool.

If you're a Brit, you already know about Burns. I'd love a guitar with a Wild Dog setting.

For used guitars, a US-made Guild can be heaven.

Hamer is a great little company. I've been jonesing for one of their Eclipses - two mini-buckers, wired like a Tele, made in the USA.

And Robin is the coolest. I'd rob a bank for a US-made Robin Ranger. Orange, natch!

JayFreddy and Tele-beeb like this.
  2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of good suggestions. No one's mentioned Hamer, Godin, or Robin yet. Great guits!

If you're a Brit, you probably already know Burn guitars, with their famed Wild Dog setting. (Where is Dundee, anyhow?)

3. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Gretsch is great option and does a good job of offering alternatives to Gibson-likes while maintaining their own identity. The MIK Gretschs are outstanding guitars at worst. Heck, even all of the Chinese ones I've played were really solid. I still have my old MiC Electromatic Jet from well over a decade ago. Great guitar.

D'angelico is another good one. I guess they're kinda of G-styled as a broad stroke, but they make some super nice stuff in the Premier line at very good prices, and with their own look and feel. They definitely get overlooked way more than they ought to.

Harley Benton has some really solid offerings for REAL cheap in the T-type world. Friend of mine pickup up their absolute bottom tier ($70 or something crazy) tele-like and let me fool about with it for a while. Tuners were abysmal, but the rest of the hardware was passable for the cost and cheap to upgrade. The pickups were pretty hot ceramic single coils, but actually sounded pretty good to me, had a real nice beefiness to them that was still very tele. The neck was the real standout for me, though. Unfinished maple and FAT, none of that weenie learner neck stuff.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Godin all the way. All North American builds (some are being made in the US now), using local harvested woods, wind their own pups, and excellent quality.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

PRS SE 245 is as good as any Les Paul Standard tonally and has superb playability.
    If I was young and ignorant of all the nuances of various electric guitar makes I'd have no desire to look beyond the SE 245. They are amazing and the undisputed equal (by ME) of any "hot hide glue, MHS pickup 5K-7K Historic R Series out there. I've played the real ones, the new real ones as well as my own 1986 and the PRS SE 245 can hang with all of them.
    They can be had for $499 at just about anywhere that's on-line. If there was a Nobel Prize for Guitar Innovation - Paul Reed Smith would win.

My own 245 is a plain top chestnut/tobacco with a gorgeous bound late 50's neck shape, wrap-around bridge, and zebra pickups (you have to look around for the bound neck models - but they're out there.) It's like PRS took the "Blow By Blow" Les Paul Oxblood and gave it "The Treatment."

AAT65 and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

People seem to like Reverend but I dont know if you get them over there

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Epiphone Elitist. Japanese made, high end finishes, quality VERY near Gibson, but 50-60% of the price. Only downside, rarity, because they were mostly produced in the early 2000s.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

G&L

Has the history and has plenty of experimental models.
    If I were a collector... it would be G&L guitars.
    Since I’m just a player, I keep one at a time ASAT.

2 Headed Goat and brookdalebill like this.
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Classic vibe squier for fenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewKid likes this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I gotta second the Yamaha SG series (are these still in production?). I had an early 80s SBG-500 which was basically a double cutaway Les Paul. Carved top, tobacco burst top with binding, solid mahogany body and mahogany set neck. Tune-o-Maroc bridge. It was really nice and, although I was mostly a strat guy at the time, I loved this guitar. Wish I still had it - sold it in a stupid move and regret it.

I also don’t think anyone has mentioned the Hagstrom Suedes and Super Swedes - excellent les Paul style guitars by any standard. A friend of mine has two and they are both gorgeous and a joy to play.

For Fender style, I usually don’t venture far from the Fender brand. Squier makes some fantastic models at very reasonable prices and the MIM Player series is phenomenal. Although I am very intrigued with some of the Harley Benton stuff.

I’m Canadian and really, really want to like Godin - they make top quality stuff at great prices, but I just can’t seem get into them for some reason - I have certainly tried. Again, top notch guitars, but they don’t resonate with me personally.

NewKid, Milspec and brookdalebill like this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

School me?
    Really anymore?

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Used G&L’s are often cheap—if you avoid the “collectable” Broadcasters and Nighthawks...

The import G&L Tributes are often excellent axes as well.

Used MIM Fenders are amongst the best bang-for-your-buck instruments ever, IMHO.

NewKid likes this.
  13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

The only thing I know about D'Angelico is what I've seen, what I've heard, and what I've heard from people who have worked on them. I've been aware of them for decades as a quality instrument. The first one I ever heard was played by Susan Tedeschi before she hooked up with Derek Trucks. She was playing an NYSD-9 and sounded great!

D'Angelico players are pretty strong, and the company has had an excellent reputation among jazzers for a long time.

A luthier and repair technician I talked to said the Korean and Indonesian models are pure crap. The top line D'Angelicos are premium priced, so you won't see much savings there, and apparently the Asian models aren't worth it at any price.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Burny. Greco, Fernandez,Tokai, Ibanez, any of the Japanese Lawsuit era types. Early Schecter are also excellent.

felis likes this.
  15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Hagstrom Viking 11 is also a particularly good alternative to a Gibson 335, also Guild Starfire V and DeArmond with toaster p/ups.

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I have found most Godin electrics to be slightly lacking... I'm not a fan of their ceramic pickups. BUT!

If you get a good one that has a nice resonance before you plug it in, you can upgrade the pickups and end up with a great guitar for cheap.

I like the SD and Session series Strat imposters. You can find the SD series used for under $200, which is Squier territory.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

That is a fair criticism, I own 5 Godin instruments and have run into a couple of switches that became bothersome, but I just replace them with traditional pots and problem solved. Two of mine are Sessions and I think they remain sleepers that can be had for cheap because people still don't know that much about Godin. I like their P90's and the cajun single coil, but have replaced the HB's with Duncans over the years.

JayFreddy and mkdaws32 like this.
  18. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Gretsch is owned by Fred Gretsch III. Fender handles the manufacturing and distribution of Gretsch guitars under contract with him.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You're really talking about two entirely unrelated guitar makers.

The D'Angelicos that have been around for decades were made by probably the most important single guitar builder in history.
    He died in 1964.

The D'Angelicos being made today are copies and similar looking guitars by some new company that bought the name.

The new imports are actually pretty good guitars, but they don't compare to the originals.

dlew919 likes this.
  20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Charles Martin? Orville Gibson? Leo fender? Is dangelico more important than these? (I’m asking genuinely not trolling).

Even someone like Lloyd loar or LES Paul who didn’t build as such but innovated might be considered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.