School me on alternatives to fender and gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJ Ray, Oct 9, 2019.

1. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

I just got a G&L Tribute BluesBoy for $380...That is different but just as nice as my ‘99 Corona “Fat” Telecaster..... so G&L

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Gretsch Duo Jet
    Yamaha SG 2000
    Ibanez Musician

3. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

I’ll echo what has been said here. If you want a les Paul but not a Gibson just go play every epiphone you can find and buy the best one. They are great guitars and pretty affordable.

if you can find an old eighties Burny or Orville les Paul for the same price as an epiphone or a little more buy it They are great guitars, every bit as good as a Gibson.

if you’re just looking for alternatives then there are plenty. A buddy of mine has several Reverend guitars and they are awesome. There are a bunch of companies doing cool offbeat stuff like Eastwood. In general it’s amazing the kind of quality you can get for a couple c notes.

IMO the best $300 you can spend is finding a used Danelectro dc59 or U2 from the 90’s made in Korea reissues. I had and sold several back in the day, regretted it for a long time. Now I have a DC59 that I’ll never part with.

newer ones aren’t bad, but they aren’t as good either. Look for a quarter sawn headstock (tilted back like a Gibson) instead of a straight headstock (like a fender)

4. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

If you want a Les Paul but not a Gibson you get a Yamaha SG 1000s or 2000s. Job done.

Yamaha is probably my favourite guitar brand. Designs, quality control, consistency, playability....all great. But they're not going to be much less than a Gibson.

5. Sterence

Sterence TDPRI Member

GUILD in the vintage market

Dl Hattenhauer and Twang Deluxe like this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

G&L > Fender
    Guild Starfire > Gibson ES series
    Heritage > Gibson Les Paul
    Used Carvin's can be a ridiculous deal on set neck quality builds. Not at all Gibson clones but worth every penny. There are more quality brands than ever but if you are concerned about resale buy used or stick with known brands.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Epiphone. They do it all. My lifers: IMG_4080.JPG

JayFreddy and NewKid like this.
  8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I’ve had some real good luck with schecters lately and you can get those in any configuration you want.

9. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I like Heritage and Eastman, esp. for semi-hollows. But if you want quality and affordability, I like Epiphone, Ibanez, and Mexican made Fenders. The Ibanez Artcores are good values, esp. the hollow bodies, but some of the hardware (trapeze tail pieces) may have issues. My thing these days is buying quality Chinese or Mexican made instruments and putting in boutique pickups made in the US... Fralin, Duncan, Lollar, TV Jones.

A big shoutout for Gretsch, too, but you will not find any imitations in their lines, esp. in pickups. The Filtertrons have a unique sound with a lot of punch and twang. I've only owned USA made Gretsches, but friends tell me they have no complaints with those made elsewhere.

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My top two 'alternatives':
    1) Reverend
    2) Godin
    If you can get past 'headstock brand phobia', both are incredible bang for the buck, and if country of origin is a concern, Godin is built here in NA (both Canada and US).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    DekeDog likes this.
  11. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

I haven't tried one, but I'm hearing really good things about Eastman's LP solid body.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/electric

Reviews are that it's better than a real Lester in almost every way. They aren't cheap, but they are cheaper.

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

For Fender Tele, Strat etc: G&L, MIM Fender, Dean Zelinsky
    For Gibson LP: Look at Fender Series 24 that were built for a while. My LP type was solid Mahog not chambered like many Gibsons. Or there are Epi versions.
    For Gibson hollow/semi: Epiphone, Ibanez. Ibanez a step up from Epi IMO. But years and styles vary.
    PRS SE: Had 2 of them, both didn't do it for me. They appeared to be Phillipine Mahogany. Which is not Mahog at all.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

depends on what you're after but I picked up a Tribute LP in a hard case for $799 not too long ago, perfectly nice guitar, 490 pickups, maple top, plays great, sounds great. Secondhand American standard tele or strat is a completely pro guitar that you should be able to pick up for $6-700. Or go all the way to Custom Shop quality (not kidding about this either) and pick up a used Ernie Ball Music Man. I bought a Cutlass for under a grand new (well, a penny under a grand) and it's the best strat I've ever played much less owned.

Nothing against the other stuff mentioned here -- love to try a revstar, and if a reverend eastsider s fell into my lap, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers. Love to try eastman & heritage for 335-type things too. but you can buy high-quality fender & gibson stuff for reasonable money if you look long & hard.

14. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Michael Kelly.

If you want a quality guitar that's close to a Fender or a Gibson, try a Michael Kelly.

I think they're equal to American Fenders, some do not, but some think they're better.

I'll have to find the thread.

Also, G&L Tribute.

Very well made for the price, and the pickups are the same as in the USA models.

The pickups are like fuller-sounding, more powerful Fender pickups.

You cannot go wrong with a Michael Kelly.

Mike

15. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

16. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I can agree with that. I haven't played a Tribute yet, but if they're built two thirds as well as my U.S. Legacy, they're a steal for the money. Fender probably builds more guitars before lunch than G&L builds all week.

Yes and no. Build-wise, my SF-V is mechanically outstanding and a great looker but has had some problems with the pots and switch getting crackly, which I wouldn't expect in a guitar that's only 18 months old. The sound is more jangly than what I associate with a humbeckered ES, and with odd-sized stock pickups, you can't just drop in a pair of Gibsons.

17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Shimamura Music Corp. has a History brand made for it by FujiGen Gakki (or sumpin like that).

18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

6251926553_dab7557eef_b.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I grabbed one of the few rare guitars at GC that play well yesterday, a G&L ASAT for $300 used.
    The bigger rectangular MFD pickups are maybe a little P-90 like, and it's an overall very good budget import guitar compared to all the affordable options of today.

20. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Reverend

Insane quality for the price, great electronics, set-up in the US before shipping, you really can't go wrong

[​IMG]

Asmith, cc50fralin and Shuster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.