School me on alternatives to fender and gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJ Ray, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Jackson and Dean are amazing! The compound radius fretboard on the Jackson's are incredible!

2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

3. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

My suggestion would be Reverend. If you're in the UK (dundee?) check out Anderton's offerings. BTW, they just released a video with Mark Agnesi and he says Epiphone is coming to NAMM with some killer new offerings FWIW.

urbandefault and Greggorios like this.
  4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

It’s really difficult to answer your question, except for everyone chiming in with it’s own favorite brand. You should be more specific.

As a starting point I’d suggest you look harder for a Gibson. Not only used, but new too. Last year I helped a young friend to buy it’s first electric. We found a new Gibson SG on sale with a discount, online, for less than [edited] 650€ (with the gigbag and postage), beautiful guitar.

Do you want a cheaper guitar or better quality?

You mention Fender and Gibson. Are you looking for a good copy, or for something different?

Does it have to be made somewhere (as in USA), or is it OK if it comes from a random asian factory?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

how good can they be if you've let four of them go?

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i see someone likes man or astroman.

matmosphere likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Depends what you want, and how much you can spend, I guess? Everyone has mentioned some great brands. I play an Epiphone in my band, which needed a little work at first and now I'm very happy with, and a PRS around the house.
    In my area I can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio, used but in good condition, for around $700. A friend got a very nice SG with P90s and a Bigsby for the same price (real Gibson). I think PRS in general makes a better guitar at a better price, but if nothing but a Gibson will do, maybe look around the used market.

8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Washburn.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I sold the Joan Jett for purely mercenary reasons - too unmarked and worth 60% more than I paid.

The two single coil MMs I still own and are with friends who love them. Bought for $5-600 Oz. The humbucker 2011 I am about to fit with P-Rails pickup and triple shot switch plus Badass bridge.

It's got a great tone - I may give it a burst finish and gloss clear.

10. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Tons of alternatives if "cheap" is your only criteria. Plenty of cheap Gibsons and Fenders being made. You get what you pay for no matter who's logo is on the headstock.

11. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Agile at Rondo music.

beyer160 and blowtorch like this.
  12. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly this! I own three Yamaha guitars, and their quality is superb, at any price point. I have a Revstar 502T, with P90s. Mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck. It’s Les Paul-ish in resonance, girth, etc. It sounds amazing. $649 The P90s are some of the best I’ve heard.
    FB1C18C3-4A50-470C-9C5E-B8D7E5E4437C.jpeg
    Don’t get me wrong, I still want a True Gibson Les Paul. But in the mean time...

NewKid, Durtdog and Greggorios like this.
  13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Surprised no one's mentioned G&L. Obviously very similar designs to Fender, they also have a similar price range from inexpensive "Tribute" models made (I think) in Indonesia and the more expensive models made in USA. I don't have any personal experience playing the newer models, but the G&L's I played back in the day were really nice guitars -- many were better than what Fender was making at the time.

Like some other posters have mentioned, don't sleep on Yamaha they make some pretty good and inexpensive guitars. Not exactly the sexiest brand of guitars, but you'd be surprised how good some of them are.

Tele-beeb, beyer160, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

G&L, Asher, Echopark

16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

+1 -- I just got an Agile Les Paul off Craigslist. I'd been wanting to check these out for a while, and this one showed up for $150. Got it for $125, and it's pretty great.

They have been around for a while, and have gone through some iterations. The neck on mine is more toward the Gibson slim size, but I've seen them more chunky as well.

They only seem to sell the upper-end models now - the 3000 range. Those have awesome specs, and I think you can count on getting a very nice guitar for a great price.

17. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Not really; just the guitar. I YouTubed them; they are interesting, but couldn't take a steady diet of them; too much noise.

18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Korean made Epiphones are generally very decent. The Newark Street line of Guilds are also very decent. I think that they are all Korean made as well.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My "King" archtop Byrdland copy really just blows me away. And because of that I really need to try out another "King".
    My "Starshine" Byrdland copy, it's okay, but it falls quite short of the King

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I do really like the Yamaha Revstars too..

Deathray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.