School me on a bound neck?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doghouseman, Aug 10, 2020.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

What are the advantages of a bound neck? I finally have a guitar that has one and I think I like it. Thinking about getting one from Warmoth.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t think there are any advantages

If anything it takes more time to refret and has disadvantages

I guess if you like chunkier necks the binding can add a little bit of shoulder

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like the way they look and feel but I'm not aware of any real differences. Nibs are cool :)

4. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

Well, you made me think, and do a search on it. Opinions seem to vary as to whether it makes for smoother fret ends.

Seems like it's mostly aesthetic. i like my guitars plain. love my PRS McCarty P90 with it's unbound neck. Ain't no sharp fret ends there, and I greatly prefer the appearance.

A luthier might tell us which is easier to re-fret.

And, aren't bound necks for sissieso_O?

Dismalhead and charliebrown51 like this.
  5. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

It looks cool...I've heard there are some protective benefits, but uhhh... I can confirm when you wack your drummers gear by accident it will still divot. Then again, I'm sure no one on this forum has ever done that before. ;)

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like the way they feel. I seem sensitive to the fretboard edge. Most bound necks are rounded and smooth t here.
    Disadvantage is refretting is more difficult.

drf64 and coreytree like this.
  7. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

advantages? IMO cosmetics & that's it

rand z and Fretting out like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Doesn't it protect against minor dings?

9. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

I think they feel better, silky smooth, ....but thats just me.

coreytree likes this.
  10. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I've got this cheap Teisco dumpster project and when I went to refret it I found that it was indeed bound, but with brown plastic, it just looked like a regular rosewood fretboard.

What the Hell? If you're going to bind it dress it up some. So during the refret I just sawed through the brown binding to install the frets, made it much easier.

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cosmetically a plus IMO . . .

That's all ...

Fretting out likes this.
  12. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

I completely agree with a couple of other folks in this thread who cite a much smoother edge to the fretboard. To me, it's often an entirely elevated left hand feel because of that. I really like them very much because of that and definitely prefer them, personally. That having been said, I've run across a couple that weren't done well and that just defeated the entire purpose. Bottom line, play one if you can and let your hand tell you what you think about them. And of course, they look cool, but if you ask me, that's not the whole point of them at all.

The channel-bound necks are not much to write home about if you ask me, though. It's like they're not really bound, just some sort of recessed fretboard trick.

13. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

I think that any well dressed fingerboard SHOULD feel pretty much the same. I like the way the binding looks on some guitars, but after my luthier touches up any guitar by dressing the frets, rolling the fingerboard etc, etc .... they all feel amazing. I tend toward plain maple fingerboards in part because they wear in nice, therefore I have a small percentage of bound neck guitars. But I do have a pair of old Carvin DC 127's one bound ebony and one unbound maple, I notice every other difference between them, but the binding or feel of the neck is not a thing that I ever notice.

Fretting out likes this.
  14. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

There's a big difference between a bound neck and abound neck with nibs! Whatever you do, stay away from nibs, they are a pain in the ass!

15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

You might be less likely to get fret sprout at the side with some bound necks. Depends how far out the binding goes.

16. charliebrown51

charliebrown51 TDPRI Member

I've played so many guitars with bound and un-bound fingerboards (Gibson, PRS, Hamer, Fender...) that I've figured it out. Any WELL-DONE fret job-factory or re-fret, feels great, plays great and with my eyes closed, I can't feel the difference. Bound figerboard look nice; very nice. Guitars do require maintenance, care and any protruding fret ends on unbound boards are easily remedied. Original Gibson ES-335s were first made with unbound fingerboards. People who own them rave about them. They even made a re-issue:

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/1958-ES-335-VOS.aspx

If I were in the market for a 335 and the neck profile felt right, I'd happily buy one.

17. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Bound necks with dots look so damn cool.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

Probably used to be white.

19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I've never played a bound neck Tele. I considered getting a G&L Legacy with a bound neck but luckily someone else bought it before I could spend the money.

Most of my other electrics have a bound neck, but they are all set neck guitars. They look cool, but I can't say there is another advantage.

Now, bound neck on an acoustic, THAT is what I'm talking about. I love the feel, love the look, love everything about them.

20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Woe! You must be my guitar-mate

I’ve thought this for years, blocks and trapezoids are okay....but binding and dots is where it’s really at

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.