School me: DRRI v. Pro Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by motmot, Jul 27, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

if the DRRI isn't blowing up your skirt, why not sell it and buy another PJ? you'd have enough cabbage left over to buy a nice telecaster. when you need more horse power for your rockN gig, run the PJs in stereo.

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

The ProJr is very fun.
    I, would put a tube pedal in front of the Deluxe. Nady TD-1, Ibanez Tube King, Bk Butler, something. That will get you in the ball park and you can adjust the volume to taste on the DR.
    Failing that, using the ProJr wth the Deluxe speaker works, or just use both amps.

3. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I didn't read through the entire thread so forgive me if this has already been suggested.

If you want more volume but w/ a Marshally tone and don't want to buy another amp, why not put a plexi pedal in front of the DRRI? There's many on the market and some are fairly inexpensive.

P.S. I have a Wampler that sounds great.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Mic your Pro Jr. through the PA...

I'm a small amp guy myself. My weapon of choice is a Champ with a 12" speaker.

5. motmot

motmot TDPRI Member

Funny thing: I appreciated the DRRI a lot more than I thought I would. It was more responsive than I remembered & I was able to get sounds I liked out of it (even if those sounds weren't the same as the Pro Jr.

Wouldn't want to pick between them right now; I'm appreciating the difference, and that I can find something to like about each, and that I've got both available to me.

But the thread has been instructive and enlightening. Thanks for that, too.

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Why not just mic the pro jr? If that's the amp you like, throw an sm57 or something in front of it for gigs. Or, add a second one! You'll increase your volume and get a cool stereo effect. You could even do things like running a stereo chorus! Cool :)

I've owned an AC15 and a Pro Jr, and I disagree about the advice to get an AC15, which to me sounds very different, and does not take pedals nearly as well.

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I gigged a Les Paul classic with a DRRI for several years, Putting a Celestion V30 in DRRI. I could keep up with anything. The V30 gives you that growl and mid punch the DRRI is missing. I have a Princeton non-reverb I use at low volumes. But if I put a Ragin Cajun in it, its totally giggable. The PRO jr. IV sounds the best of all the PRO jrs. it just doesn't compete with the "big Iron" transformer of the DRRI.

8. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Why not just plug the pro junior into the deluxe cab ( unplug speakers from deluxe amp.)

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The advantage to my suggestion is that the OP would have the Pro Jr running, plus the TONE of the Pro Jr coming out of the DRRI.....TWO amps=greater volume. Without going back through his first post, wasn't that his issue? He liked the SOUND of the Pro Jr but needed more volume. (?)

10. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

There are much better suggestions above, but for a cheaper (probably ignorant) suggestion:

Would a tube screamer bring the mids you’re craving back to the DRri? Or for more flexibility an EQ pedal?

11. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I have the 65 DRRI and a Pro Jr. I rarely use the pro jr. It doesn't sound like a classic blackface Fender amp which is pretty much all I want anymore.
    The Pro is lacking reverb which makes it worthless to me as far as anything more than a practice amp.

I also have a 65 PRRI. That's a lot of fun. Have you tried one of those? It reminds me a bit of the Pro jr. as far as simplicity and light weight goes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.