School me: DRRI v. Pro Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by motmot, Jul 27, 2019.

1. motmot

motmot TDPRI Member

So,

I generally take a Pro Junior to band rehearsals. I’m crazy about the tone & sounds I get from it, especially with pedals after it’s warned up.

I haven’t found the same level of nirvana with my DRRI, but I find the volume of DRRI necessary for the (infrequent) gigs that the two basement/garage bands I’m a member of, manage to find.

Any advice or tips for a duffer?

2. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Get a pedal that emulates the tone of the Pro Jr or get a different amp that is louder, but sounds similar to the Pro Jr.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm kinda surprised you prefer the Pro Jr over a Deluxe Reverb, even a reissue. But I have two imperfect suggestions you might try. Use a "boost" pedal, like an LPB-1 to increase the effective volume of the Jr. They sometimes "color" the sound of an amp, but hopefully not too much.
    The other suggestion is to follow Gerald Webber's "line out" mod for a tweed Deluxe, which takes a line out signal from an amp's speaker output, which can then be sent directly to another amp. (like your DRRI) The sound and tone from that second amp is ALMOST indistinguishable from the original amp.
    I don't have the plans for the mod right at hand, but I bet you could google it. I built one in a little project box, so I can use it with any situation I choose, and not "built in" to a specific amp. That would require carrying two amps to certain gigs, but it would solve your volume level problem.

4. strat a various

Or, um ... mic the Pro Jr?

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

The Pro Jr works better with pedals than the DRRI, imo.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds to me like you prefer a more modern vs vintage style amp. Maybe look at a Supersonic amp if you want to stay Fender, or Mesa, Marshall trade for the DRRI.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  7. strat a various

A Blues Jr is louder than a Pro Jr, and it can sound very similar. Would a Blues Jr and a Pro Jr together generate enough volume?

telemnemonics and Marc Morfei like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The DRRI is the Fender clean scooped mids design where the Pro Jr is more like a Tweed Fender or a vintage Marshall.
    I agree, a DRRI aint cuttin it compared to a raw mids forward amp!
    Lots of 18w Marshall variants, Orange Tiny Terror, or as suggested mic it or get a second one.

9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

If micing is not an option, I see 3 other things to try, from the cheapest to the most expensive:
    - put a more efficient speaker into your ProJr;
    - buy a Fryette Power station (but make sure before that your speaker can handle the increase in power!);
    - buy a new amp... As stated, the ProJr has more of a tweed tone than a blackface one. I would look at tweed Supers and tweed Pros (2 x 10 or 1 x 15 but mostly the same amp). If you like your ProJr I think you would love it, but we are talking about around 1,500+ usd if you want a handwired one (Fender custom or boutique clone). Maybe you could sell your ProJr and your DRRI?

horseman308 likes this.
  10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

PS: to me the BluesJr sounds more like a cheaper alternative to a PRRI (it was my only amp for several years, before getting a PRRI). So more blackface IMO.
    A ProJr is another animal.
    Therefore that would not be where I would look.

11. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

IMO pro juniors and blues juniors with their EL84 tubes are not traditional Fendery sounding amps. You might like an AC30? better than a DRRI.

bftfender and Alter like this.
  12. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I'd start with 2 things.

1. Get the amp off the floor. Put it on a chair, table, amp stand, milk crate, whatever. At the very least tilt it back so the speaker is pointed at your head, not your feet. A lot of volume issues stem from pointing the speaker at something other than your ears. One big issue for my band, and many others, is the drummer's cymbals - which are in the high-frequency range anyway - are right at ear level. So we're competing for sonic "space."

2. Try a more efficient speaker. Jim not sure what speaker is in the Pro Reverb, but if you can find one that is more sensitive/efficient you can increase volume a few db for less money than a new amp.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

13. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yup, you're never gonna get a DRRI sound out of a ProJr. if for no other reason than the tubes. EL84's sound nothing like 6V6's, no matter what you do. If what you're looking for is volume, and tone similar to a ProJr., an AC15 would probably work.

dannyh and Vibrolux59 like this.
  14. motmot

motmot TDPRI Member

Appreciate the thoughts & suggestions.

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

all these years of messing with amps..you just summed it up in 1 sentence, it is the el84 sound..its in my carvin belair, Vox, & peavey..its that distinctive sound..in the mid doing something..small bottle compression maybe..

16. motmot

motmot TDPRI Member

Again, thank you.
    Any thoughts on getting the DRRI to sound more like the Pro Junior?

dan1952 likes this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

As stated above, EL84 vs 6V6 is like apples and oranges. The DRRI can't be made to sound like the Pro Jr.. Buy an AC15 IF you want a loud EL84 amp. Do NOT buy a Blues Jr, though. The worst sounding, least reliable Fender amp, in my not so humble, grouchy old guy, opinion...

18. strat a various

There is one way, but it's an arcane, eldritch throwback to the dark days of electric guitar lore. It will work, but you'll never be the same after. It has driven strong men to insanity. Here it is:

Get a good high impedance mic. Mic your Pro Jr with your DRRI. It takes a bit to find the right placement for the amps and adjust the EQ on the DRRI, but it works. I've done this with my Champ and my Twin. Spooky isn't a strong enough word.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  19. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    That may be the ONLY way.....:lol:

20. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

No amp tech here but could you upgrade the OT? Sounds like you bond with the Pro Jr for now. Bill M T020?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.