Schlock horror movies---*The Funhouse*

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele salivas, Sep 6, 2015.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I just saw The Funhouse the other night. It's a 1981 feature following a double date gone horribly wrong. The crazy kids decide to spend the night in the funhouse of a travelling carnival. This carnival has had trouble before. Two young girls were found butchered after last being seen at this very carnival 2 years prior. Much suspicion, no arrests, and plenty of rumors. Dad warns Amy, played by the lovely Elizabeth Berridge, not to go to the carnival. She's a nice -type virginal girl going out on her first date with a weed smoking, muscle car driving, bad boy, played with just the right amount of edge by Cooper Huckabee (he recently played Ray Velcoro's father in True Detective).

I was impressed by the pacing and much of the acting. The Carnies are awesome! A motley crew running the usual gags of palm reading, dancing girls, and freak show delights. There are definite archetypes being employed, but also quite a bit of heart and chops that have gone into the portrayals that elevate this schlocky flick above the norm. Certainly much more entertaining than most of the drivel that is in the genre, especially these days. And while "the monster" is a little cheesy, he is much more entertaining than the continual use of the exorcist/ring girl with hair-covering-face in dirty-nightgown we are currently being served today.

The Funhouse is just a good solid schlock horror flick, and even though it uses many of the stereotypical ploys from by-gone days, still manages to pull off many good shots and moments. If your into B-movie horror, this is a true classic.

[​IMG]

Any recommendations form ya'll?

2. tele salivas

A pretty good way to open a film with a nod to a couple other classics...

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

That's a Tobe Hooper movie, same guy that made Texas Chainsaw Massacre and many others.

How about Evil Dead series, horror and comedy. Also The Vampire Killers, a Roman Polanski film.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  4. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

"Phantasm" was a late 70s favorite:

It even had a little Fender action, the tuning fork at the end of the clip was a very important element come the end of the movie....:

5. tele salivas

That blood orb in Phantasm was way wicked!

I wish I could remember this one Vampire-type cult movie,it was one of the first movies I saw when I first came to the US as a little kid. Freaked me out for days! I'd stare at the doorway at bedtime for a very long time.

6. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I've seen Funhouse before and I thought it was pretty good. The character I liked the best was the monster's father. He really hammed it up.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Phantasm is a classic for sure

8. tele salivas

Totally. That was Kevin Conway. He was awesome. That little bit really gave the movie some heart. And Tobe Hopper's Hungarian cinematographer, Andrew Laszlo, did a fantastic job. Laszlo did The Warriors, Miracle on 34th Street, and filmed the Beatles at Shea Stadium.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.