Schematic for Vox Cambridge 15?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by J-bass&Tele, Sep 22, 2021.

1. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Now and then over the years I've searched for a schematic but with no luck.
    It's a V9169, made from 1999-2002 and along with it's bigger brother, the Cambridge 30, they're famous for a failing opto-coupler in the trem circuit.

My Cambridge 15 have lost some volume capability and the trem has gone from "meh" to weak.
    I could go in and figure stuff out but would rather have a schematic to start with.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Dried out capacitors will cause that if it hasn't been used in a while.

J-bass&Tele likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm no help, just a re-purposing story:

In 2000, I bought a used Cambridge 15 from a local shop, it was OK and I used it on gigs maybe a year ( I had 2 Fender combo amps too, but like small amps)
    - a year in, the volume got weak, the amp got really distorted and I just shelved the amp.( No attempt to repair, other than replace the 12AX7 tube, and try another speaker- dead end)

Years later I bought a used Pathfinder 15R on CL, that for some reason had a Crate 4 ohm speaker in it ( the amp sounded great and I did not notice wrong speaker when I bought it)

So I put the Vox/Celestion Bulldog that was in the Cambridge into the Pathfinder and have used this as my main gig amp for about 8 years.
    ( note: a buddy of mine owns a stock PF15R- we A/B'd both amps at identical settings, and I think his stock 8" may actually be louder)

I threw out the Cambridge amp chassis ( sorry!) and just last year, a buddy of mine drilled holes in the cab/baffle to accommodate a 10" Celestion. So it's an ex. cab for the Pathfinder, BUT I actually think the Cambridge 8" speaker just sounds better and handles bass/volume just as well- so I just keep things portable
    with the 8"
    20210922_090605.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

I have used it at least a couple of times per week in the years I've owned it but it's quite possible the electrolytic caps have started go bad nevertheless, it is a 20 years old amp.
    I have a bunch of big caps left from another recap project on a similar SS amp, I'll check that.

Jon Snell likes this.
  5. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

My PF15r will fill the role nicely for now but the Cambridge sounds and feels better. The speaker could maybe be one of the reasons?

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just an old memory from when my Cambridge 15 was working :

I'm more R&R than Rock, and ( I would not think this until getting the Pathfinder 15R, later and comparing amp tone vs. Cambridge) and I really prefer the Pathfinder's ability to give me a louder clean tone plus the Reverb ( which I turn all the way UP, and leave there), vs. an inherently more distorted/higher gain tone that came out of the Cambridge.
    The Cambridge was fun while it worked, but gave me a very distorted sizzle on everything- not quite right for my old fart music

note: I do not use PF's Boost, but use an OD pedal always ON, at low Drive, but amp clean ( about as loud and clean as is capable)
    This almost doubles the amp's volume, and I roll from clean to dirty with my guitar Volume knob.
    * kind of amazed that the 8" speaker handles the pummeling it gets- the low end stays together- not flubby

( I do this with any amp these days- all small Combo amps)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.