Schaller Megaswitches Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Syddd, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Syddd

Syddd TDPRI Member

Hello All,

I am contemplating getting a Schaller Megaswitch to set up Nashville Tele wiring for a guitar.

My issue with the standard 4-pole superswitches, besides being bulky, is that the action on them doesn't feel as tight and snap into position like the standard 5-way blade switch does.

So my question is - does the action of a Schaller megaswitch feel as good as the standard 5-way blade switch?

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It depends. I have been a fan of the mega switches until the last 2. They are Ms and they don't have as solid detent feel as a regular to me. They also both crackle when I switching when switching as well. Never had either problem before.

Eric

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a Schaller super mega that I got directly from the maker by request. It's got two wafers, and 48 terminal pads. Like having a pair of super switches ganged up. Talk about bulky... I've never used it - the project I had it for never came about, so it sits in the drawer. I just pulled it out and checked... the action doesn't feel as crisp to me as does a O-G or CRL. I dunno, maybe it is, but there's a small rattle that goes with it, makes it seem loose-ish. Whatever. Definitely not an improvement over the O-G or CRL, IMO.

The regular super switches can be bulky in a Tele. Depends which you get. The ones I got from StewMac are the worst. They're all O-G, pretty sure, but special runs for different sellers. S-Ms are very spread out. Easy to solder, hell to fit. The hands-down best is the narrow O-G superswitch sold only by Toneshapers.com. Fits perfectly in a Tele cavity, with room to spare, even with foil shielding on the walls.

4. Syddd

Syddd TDPRI Member

I'm looking at a Megaswitch E, have you had any experience with them?

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I have the E switch and it has a really solid, positive action.

Syddd likes this.
  6. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, I have used them and beek very pleased with them.

Eric

Syddd likes this.
  7. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

I've used and 'E' and a 'S' Megaswitch both with great success, solid feel and reliable.

Syddd likes this.
  8. Syddd

Syddd TDPRI Member

Thanks guys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.