Scary experience on the way to lunch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by arnie5150, Mar 11, 2019.

1. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I work in a small town and was driving to lunch, following an 18 wheeler when a deer flew past the front end of my Jeep. This was on a 35MPH street within the city limits. I thought, "wow, that was close and how did she manage to make it between me and the tractor/trailer in from of me" when I noticed a flicker of fur to my drivers side. A second deer must've slid under by Jeep and I ran over it with the driver rear tire. This is a 2 door JK on 33's. It felt like the rear end went airborne.... landed hard enough that my Yeti bounced out of the cup holder. So far the Jeep and I appear to be ok. I cant say the same for the poor deer... keep your eyes open out there.

Chunkocaster and Nickadermis like this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's never just one. I've taught my kids that if they see them in time, slow way down, even stop if you can when you see the first one. It's the second or third one that can kill you.
    Glad you are okay.

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

This is a biker's worse nightmare. I ride mountain roads a lot but i make sure never to head up there till at least 9AM or better yet 10, and never near dusk. When you hit em on a bike obviously you;re chances of it ending badly ate 100 times worse.

Straydogger, arnie5150 and drf64 like this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

happened to me ... Once upon a time...proud not to have soiled myself ...

arnie5150 likes this.
  5. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The deer won this one ... at least he managed to keep running ... dunno if he survived after that. I had almost managed to stop.

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster and arnie5150 like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yikes!
    I’ve whacked two Bambis in the last coupla years.
    I gig in the Hill Country here all the time.
    Deer are everywhere.
    I’m an animal lover, and I try drive carefully.
    Be careful folks!

Nickadermis, arnie5150 and Ignatius like this.
  7. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I haven't hit a deer yet, but I've had a couple of close calls in the last year. I did, however, manage to hit a kid that ran into the street a couple years ago. Kids are as bad as deer. Fortunately, I was paying better attention than the kid, and managed to skid to a screeching halt and barely touched him. He wasn't hurt, and he admitted to police that it was his own fault. Hopefully it scared him enough to pay more attention.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Over the past 40 years of living in a rural area, I've hit an average of 1.275 deer every 10 years. Mostly low speed encounters that cost a lot to fix & the deer trotted away. There are more of them around here now than in Columbus's time. They also eat our garden if we don't secure the perimeter.

9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

It's a sad situation but I don't swerve..I'll brake as much as possible but im not going into the ditch.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

A friend of mine’s father was killed because he hit a deer while riding a motorcycle.

Another friend of mine came over a hill and hit a big Hereford cow standing in the middle of the road...damaged her old 70’s LTD, but didn’t disable it. Killed the cow, and her father had to go to court to prove the owner of the cow was negligent, because he didn’t mend his fence (a regular occurrence), otherwise she would have to replace the value of several generations of that cow (according to some archaic Texas Law).

11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

A buddy of mine was hit on his motorcycle by a deer one night. He was doing about 70 when the deer hit him in his right side and knocked him clean off the bike. He never even saw it coming, he just wound up in a cornfield. A split-second earlier and he would have hit the deer head-on with his face. He was fine, but would likely not have survived the head on encounter. He sold the bike not long after that.

12. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Once i had a deer jump across the road and get hit by a Blazer coming the other way. It flipped it around and took my vehicles turn signal light off. Deer was dead. After stopping and the shock wearing off we left.

We were driving off and decided I need the broken light cover for parts for the upcoming repair. Went back only 5 min later and deer was gone but big cat tracks and drag marks led off to the bushes. I think that cougar is why it ran across the road in the mid day.

arnie5150 likes this.
  13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've killed way more deer with a vehicle than ever with a gun. Never any seriously collisions though.

14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Woah, I thought it was worse and you saw my Sister-in law.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've hit two. One in a '65 Chevy Van I had. Luckily it just dented the front a little. I think the deer got away. The other was in a '63 Ford Pickup that belonged to a friend. There was a scratch on the bumper. Bambi was a goner.

Be careful out there!

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Rural Norfolk deer are a hazard .I just missed one last year and that was only because I keep a look out by scanning fields ahead as well as the road ahead to warn me .
    My worst scare wasnt a deer but a barn owl .I was doing about 70 on a motorcycle late at night on a straight lonely road.Suddenly this ghostly face appeared far too near .I ducked and it shot over my head luckily

17. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I live in rural MS. I saw 4 on the way in today at 0600. Never have a encountered or much less hit one in town though! Thanks for sharing your stories!

18. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

25 years of driving in the mountain lands of Pennsylvania, and I never even had a close call. 20 more years of driving in Virginia and North Carolina, I finally bagged my first deer.

Actually, it bagged me, but it still got the bad end of the deal. Driving down a rural road (in north western VA), the deer came bolting out of the woods and ran into the side of the car, just behind the passenger side front wheel. Spun the poor little sucker around so that it’s hind end put a biggish dent in the rear door on that side. We were ok, car was drivable, but the deer had at least a broken leg, if not hip. Called the cops to file accident report, then our insurance agent, then waited 45 mins for the cop to find us. I suppose either the cop or animal control had to put down the deer.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

There's a herd that hangs out along the road I live on. I have to watch for them since I leave the house about 5:30 AM or so. 3 of them were hanging out in the middle of the road this morning when I left for work.

20. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

Not a deer, but I was entering Rte 128 one day. In my side view mirror, maybe fifty yards back on the crest of a hill, I saw a chest of drawers standing right there in the middle of the road. Before I looked away, a big–ass pickup truck crested the rise. The poor bureau just exploded. The pickup didn't even slow down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.