Scary anti smoking ad.....!?!?!

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Smoking killed both my parents with lung cancer.

It’s not a joke.
Sorry about your parents, Matt.....cancer is NOT a joke. Smoking-related cancer took my father at a too-young age as well.
Keith Richards is a well known braggart. Not saying that to put him down, just repeating what people who know him have stated.
He likes to portray the bad boy rock and roll image. So he talks it up when given the opportunity.
He has had periods in his life where he used lots of drugs and lots of alcohol.
But he goes on benders. Then sobers up for periods of time.
The result is, his body can recover. People who use lots of drugs or alcohol daily usually die younger than they should have.
Keith isn't like that.

As far as his smoking goes, who knows how much he smoke daily? My mom smoked a pack a day from 14 years old until 84. She died of complications due to osteoporosis. Her lungs were ok according to her doctors.
Other people get lung cancer just from inhaling second hand smoke.
Genetics might have something to do with it. I never smoked cigarettes so that's one addiction I didn't have to battle.
And with all due respect, L.A.Mike, I would question just how "OK" her lungs were.....I don't know ANY doctor who would say someone who'd smoked for seventy years would have good lungs....but I'm still sorry you lost her.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
My friend’s mom, Helen Clark, passed away at 96 just before Halloween. She smoked a pack a day until she was 95.
Cancer doesn’t hit everyone who smokes. Two gay friends survived AIDS when most of their friends didn’t.

You never know.

L.A. Mike

Tele-Afflicted
somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
Sorry about your parents, Matt.....cancer is NOT a joke. Smoking-related cancer took my father at a too-young age as well.

And with all due respect, L.A.Mike, I would question just how "OK" her lungs were.....I don't know ANY doctor who would say someone who'd smoked for seventy years would have good lungs....but I'm still sorry you lost her.

I don't advocate smoking. I was the only one in my family who didn't smoke when I was growing up.
I asked her to quit many times. She didn't want to, said she enjoyed it.
I was with her a few times for yearly physicals, in her last years. Which included scans and x-rays. Her doctor said "Your heart and lungs look fine, But your bones are hollow due to osteoporosis".
It was genetic in her case. Her mother had it too. And so did her aunts and sisters.

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
Now I know why my dad who was on a fixed income always complained he was broke.

Your dad probably got by a lot cheaper than that. I was figuring today's cig prices....not the 25 cents to $1 a pack our dads probably paid. But my dad smoked for 60+ years, so it's still a big piggy bank.

Lake Placid Blue

Poster Extraordinaire
Your dad probably got by a lot cheaper than that. I was figuring today's cig prices....not the 25 cents to $1 a pack our dads probably paid. But my dad smoked for 60+ years, so it's still a big piggy bank.
My dad worked at a Cigarette Store for the last 20 years of his life. He died 15 years ago. He couldn’t afford to retire and he couldn’t resist the discount on cigarettes for working at the store.

TeleFunk Man

Tele-Afflicted
Apparently the whole thing about Keith having his blood drained and replenished at some clinic in Switzerland back in the 70s to get off heroin addiction was purely rock and roll urban myth. So it must be the Jack Daniels in his system that keeps him alive.

Kriticaster

Tele-Holic
Apparently the whole thing about Keith having his blood drained and replenished at some clinic in Switzerland back in the 70s to get off heroin addiction was purely rock and roll urban myth. So it must be the Jack Daniels in his system that keeps him alive.

Sounds a bit like Lemme of Motorhead...

Apparently he only died because his dealer went on holiday and he ran out of speed...

(Yes, I just made that up... But it sounded believable right! :twisted: )